- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Healthy Chicken Soup Recipe - Tinolang Manok
Filipinos are known worldwide for their kindness and hospitality especially when it comes to guests. They give enough efforts to welcome them and serve food or meal for them. One of the most common and famous types of dishes that Filipinos serve their guests is Tinola.
Tinola, is a tasty Filipino stew dish characterized by having chicken meat combined with some vegetables such as papaya and chilli pepper leaves served in many occasions and most especially during cold and rainy seasons. According to Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia, it was invented during the late 19th century and was also mentioned in Noli Me Tangere, Jose Rizal’s famous novel.
Below is a recipe on how to cook the famous variant of tinola – the Tinolang Manok.
You will need:
× 1 kilogram chicken (cut into serving slices)
× ½ cup chilli pepper/ sili leaves
× 5 cups water
× 2 tablespoon fish sauce/ patis
× 2 tablespoon ginger (thinly sliced)
× 3 tablespoon cooking oil
× 1 piece garlic (minced)
× 1 piece onion (minced)
× 2 pieces unripe papaya or sayote
Here’s how to cook:
1. Pour some cooking oil into a casserole or pot. Don’t forget to set the fire into medium heat.
2. Sauté the garlic, onion and ginger for about 2 minutes.
3. Put the chicken meat and water into the casserole. Let it boil for about 30 minutes or so until the meat is cooked enough.
4. Add the unripe papaya and let it boil again for a few minutes until it’s cooked.
5. Put some salt, pepper and fish sauce depending on your desired taste.
6. Add the chilli pepper/ sili leaves.
7. Turn off the heat and serve.
× You can also use chayote/ sayote as a substitute to unripe papayas.
× Be sure not to overcook the vegetables that you used.
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...