- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Butter and Garlic Squash
There are so many different types of squash out there; many of them quite intimidating when you first hold one or see one. Some have softer skins and some have harder ones. Some are very small and some are very large.
There are more varieties of squash than there are just about any other fruit or vegetable available. Check out What's Cooking America for all of the different types. The most familiar are: acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, etc.
The small, slender, soft-skinned green and yellow squash that you find at the grocery store is the kind we will be working with today. This squash you can wash and cut up as is. There's no peeling, coring, pulling out seeds, or any of that craziness.
My favorite way to cook squash is to steam it. Every time I cook it I cut it up in different shapes and sizes to make it interesting. However, there's really no wrong way to cook a squash, making it one of the most versatile vegetables around. (Cooking Squash)
They're great grilled, pureed, steamed, broiled, boiled, baked, fried, mashed and more. Either way, cooked squash is not only delectable, but a great addition to any meal.
- 2 large green squash
- 2 large yellow "zucchini", same thing, just different color
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash all of your squash thoroughly with water and place on the cutting board.
- Chop the stems off of each of your squash pieces and then chop up your squash. I typically cut the green and the yellow differently.
- There are so many creative ways to cut it up. If you need some guidance, cut it up like you would a banana, into slices a few centimeters thick. You can also cut into chunks or into spears.
- Prepare a large pot with a steamer basket, and enough water to fill the pot to just under the basket.
- Place the pot onto the stove and set the heat to medium-high.
- Toss all of your squash into the steamer basket, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and cover your pot.
- Steam your squash for about 20-30 minutes until it's still crunchy, but easy to cut with a fork. Do not allow to overcook or wilt.
- Your squash will taste amazing just like this, with no additions. However, feel free to sprinkle with garlic salt and drizzle with butter before serving.
|Serving size: 1 squash or 1 cup of slices|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 496 mg||21%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
You can steam just about any type of squash. The types with the tougher skin will need to be skinned and seeded before using. Chop it up into small chunks before steaming. At this point you can eat it as is, sprinkle it with garlic and butter, mash it, or include it in any number of dishes.
Our amazing landlords have the best suggestions for cooking any vegetable you're unfamiliar with. They always say, "Cover it in brown sugar and butter and put it in the oven." I think brown sugar and butter would make just about anything delicious.
If you do it this way like they suggest, it works, but you'll want a spoon and a towel to clean your face afterwards.
Squash is an amazing vegetable that not only complements any dish as a side, but also goes well int he main dish. Check out my Amazing Ratatouille recipe for one great way to use squash in a main dish!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Squash is a regular part of our weekly menu. Now that you know how to cook it easily, it can also be yours!
Do you have a preference for cooking your squash?
- My Favorite Grilled Roasted Vegetables From The Gard...
Summer brings lots of sunshine, outdoor time with family and friends and a beautiful garden of fresh vegetables to enjoy. Here are some of my favorite grilled roasted vegetables from the garden.
- Delicious, Oven-Roasted Vegetables Recipe (Great App...
My easy recipe for some delicious and healthy roasted vegetables as well as a couple of videos showcasing other techniques and recipes can be found in this hub. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
- Tips for Cooking a Delicious Artichoke
Many people have never even tried an artichoke. I agree it can be a different flavor that takes some getting used to, but once you try it cooked with butter and garlic, you'll never look back. What doesn't taste good with butter and garlic??
- Roasted Cheese and Garlic Asparagus
I know it's hard sometimes to imagine purposely cooking vegetables for yourself for dinner, but if you make them right with the right added ingredients, they can be the most amazing part of your meal.