- Food and Cooking
Toasted Ravioli Recipe
Italian Food Ranking
If my friends and family don't know me by now, then they just don't know me. I am a true Italian food lover and I have always joked and said, In my other life, "I was Italian". Any time that I have a chance to try a new Italian dish, I try it!
I just absolutely love Italian food. I love to eat Italian food, smell the Italian food cooking, sampling different dishes, making my the recipes at home, experimenting with different flavors and eating out at the local restaurants. I would love to have my own restaurant and one of the things that I would have on the menu or several items would have to include some Italian dishes. Owning your own restaurant would be really hard work and long hours so, I think that I will just continue my cooking at home.
I have always had the idea and had that I wanted to make my own ravioli. Being a bit chicken, I still have not tried to make it at home. In this recipe, you can make your own ravioli but, for easiness of making this dish and with our busy lives now a days, I just opt to use the frozen ravioli. Some different kinds of ravioli to try would be, lobster ravioli, cheese ravioli, vegetable ravioli or Italian sausage or meat ravioli. This is just a great recipe with a lot of great possibilities. As with all of the recipe hubs that I do. I try to pick a recipe that first of all sounds good and one that sounds like something that my family would enjoy.
You could always make some homemade marinara sauce or just purchase some at the grocery store if you don't have time. One thing that comes to mind when making homemade sauce at home, is the incredible aroma that flows through your home. You will want to make homemade sauce just for the delicious smell. Then you could put it up to freeze and use later, if you don't use it for the ravioli.
If I purchased a marinara sauce from the store, I would treat myself to a little bit more expensive sauce. Served with a big salad whether Caesar or house salad with Italian dressing and bread, this is a perfect meal for "Italian Night" at the house.
Cooking the garlic in a pan, with butter and onion as is the recipe instructs, and this will save you time in making this dish.
I would also spice up this dinner by adding some candlelight and nice dishes. This is a great and easy romantic dinner for two.
I hope that you get the opportunity to make this dish. By using the frozen ravioli, it will make this super easy.
Don't hesitate to leave any ravioli recipes or ideas in the comments capsule that is located at the bottom of this page.
The Taste of Italy
Ingredients for Marinara...
|Serving size: 1/2 cup|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 610 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Tasty Toasted Ravioli
What will you need...
- 1/4 cup onion, finely, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut up
- 2 tablespoons or 1 teaspoon fresh basil or dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16-20) package meat filled ravioli, thawed
- enough cooking oil, to cook ravioli
- 2-3 tablespoons or enough parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top (optional)
This saucy ravioli would be great with Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the ravioli, right before you serve it.
I bought this great (more of a block versus a shredded but, fresh Parmesan cheese) at a more specialty grocery store. The cheese is a sharper Parmesan cheese. I remember it having a subtle smoky flavor. Not a smoky flavor like you might think.It is just a different kind of flavor With it being fresh cheese, it will give you a better flavor. This cheese just adds a unique flavor and is a block of cheese versus the typical shredded Parmesan cheese that most of us buy. I am not making fun either. I still use shredded cheese just the same. Also know that I love most all cheeses and the block Parmesan that allows you to grate it fresh for dish is amazing.
Making the Ravioli
- For the sauce, in a medium saucepan, cook the onion and the garlic in hot oil or butter until the onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, fresh or dried basil (if using), salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the mixture reaches the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh basil, if using. Cover the sauce to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a small bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Dip each ravioli in egg mixture, then dip in bread crumbs to coat.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy 3 quart saucepan. Heat the oil to 350 degrees. Fry the ravioli, a few at a time, in hot oil about 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in the 300 degree oven while frying the remaining ravioli.
- If desired, sprinkle ravioli with parmesan cheese. Serve with warm sauce for dipping.
Quick Cook Time
Basil Is An Essential Spice For Ravioli
125 Italian Recipes
Some final tips...
To garnish the dish, take some basil leaves and stick them down in the center of the ravioli.
You can also sprinkle the finished dish with Parmesan cheese.
I would always recommend using fresh ingredients when possible. I have fresh garlic growing in my garden and I love to cook with it. Fresh ingredients make all the difference in the world.
For this particular recipe, I made the recipe the easiest way possible by buying the frozen meat filled ravioli.
This recipe can also be made with cheese ravioli or meat filled ravioli, if desired. After trying the cheese ravioli, you might want to make the meat filled ravioli, to try something different.
Tomatoes are the key!
What to serve with the Ravioli...
Marinara Sauce of your choice
Meat Filled Ravioli
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
I hate to repeat myself but, this quick and easy to make chicken casserole can be mixed up rather quickly and then the key is to let the casserole flavors blend.
- Biscuit and Chocolate Gravy Recipe
This is truly a "southern dish" and all I can think about when I hear the word chocolate gravy is yummy!! Pictures, commentary and videos are featured in this hub.
- Death By Chocolate Recipe
This article features, a poll, photos, commentary, videos, ingredients and a ratings, instructions and ingredients capsule. This dessert contains layers of chocolate, brownies and pudding. This is truly a chocolate lover's dream. This recipe is easy
- South of the Border Chicken Soup
With all the rainy weather that we have had lately a hearty soup is just what the doctor ordered. The name of the recipe says it all. This soup will satisfy your south of the border craving.
- Muffaletta Mix Recipe
This is a recipe that I was given on how to make Muffalettas at home. This hub features step by step instructions on making the Muffaletta/Olive Salad Mix. A poll, a quiz and commentary as well as pictures are all included in this blog.
© 2013 Buster Johnson