Delicious vegetarian tofu ball
I guest like many other people you would never try the fried tofu ball before.
Being a cook since 8 year old and I didn't know this till I reach 25 when my housemate - Hanh, made it for us.
She's not a professional cook but imagine how many tips and recipes we learn from home-cooks around us. Those that the professional one doesn't know and if, will not willing to share.
Back to the balls, we all loved it even my mum & dad when I was back home and make for them. Try it - a healthy substitute to the conventional meat ball.
- 1/2 lb. firm tofu
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 oz. shittake mushroom, soaked into warm-hot water till soft, 5-10 minutes, washed and minced
- Few black fungus, soaked into warm-hot water till soft, 5-10 minutes, washed and minced
- salt, sugar or fish sauce to taste
- 1 tsp. cornflour or tapioca flour (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. vegetable oil
- Blend all ingredients to a paste then make balls of 1 tbsp paste, similar to the meat ball.
- Pour oil into a flat bottom pan to a depth of 1/11" and heat over medium-high heat till the oil reaches about 1000 C, add balls into batches. Brown both sizes then transfer to kitchen towels to drain excess oil. Serve with rice, fish sauce or soy sauce and other dishes.
instruction by images
Option 1: Serve with rice and other dishes in Vietnamese table
Option 2: Serve as snack or nibble food
- Leave big pieces of black fungus and small pieces of shittake mushroom to enhance its flavour and crunchy texture.
- Add minced shrimp for extra sweetness, texture and flavour
- Lean to control the heat, the ball should be lightly crispy on the outside but moist inside.
- Shittake mushroom health's benefits, further than immune boosting
- How to reduce cholesterol with black fungus
My dad has high cholesterol so we try to adjust his diet. Along with garlic & onion salad, we use black fungus whenever we can, as in this balls.