Tom Yam Fried Bee Hoon (Rice Vermicelli)
Tom Yam Fried Rice Vermicelli
During my younger days, my mum was a fantastic chef of the household. She had tried many ways to get me into the kitchen but I was never keen in stepping int a sticky kitchen without a fan.
Ironically, I learnt to cook through reading recipe blogs from scratch. Having to experienced lots of trials and errors, I am glad that I had managed to mix and match different sauces and ingredients to create my own recipes to share.
Fried Rice Vermicelli is low in cholesterol, suitable to consume by elderly people, children and sick patients because it is easy to digest and does not make you feel bloated after a hearty meal.
Locally, it is fondly known as " Bee Hoon " or " Mi Fen" which are the Chinese pronunciation for Rice vermicelli. This thin, stick noodle blends well with any meats or seafood, any green leafy vegetables but the commonly used veggie is Chinese cabbage as it is extremely cheap in cost and the size of the head cabbage could last you a couple of weeks.
What is Rice Vermicelli?
Rice vermicelli are thin white noodles made from rice and a form of rice noodles. They are sometimes called as rice noodles or rice sticks in different countries.
Rice vermicelli are usually sold in a big packet which could yield at least 6 to 8 people at a cheap price ranging from $2 to $4, depending on the brands. They are dry form of noodles that you can stored up to several months. Rice vermicelli are often consume as a soup dish, stir fried or with thick gravy pour on top.
Must Buy Tom Yum Paste !
Tom Yum Paste
Tom Yum is a hot and sour spicy paste made from shrimps, lemon grass, kaffir leaves (lime ), galangal, lime juice, fish paste, red dried chillies and broth. The ingredients are grind into fine paste for easy cooking purpose. Best for stir fries and soups
Plain Beehoon or Tom Yam Beehoon
Plain beehoon is similar to plain white rice except that plain beehoon has its own soy sauce taste. You can choose various of side dishes to go along with this dish such as stir fry vegetables, fried pork meat, bull eye eggs and fish cakes. I love to spice up my plain beehoon with additional sambal and sometimes chilli sauce.
Today, I self modified my plain beehoon with mixture of Tom yam paste and other vegetable ingredients that I could find in my refrigerator. I love the spiciness and tanginess of Tom Yam taste which blends well with strips of carrots, cabbage and any kind of seafood.
The advantage of Tom Yam beehoon are, this dish is easy and quick to cook, half of the packet could yield at least 4 people and it can last the whole day without turning stale if you can't finish the beehoon at one mealtime. Just heat up the Tom Yam beehoon and savour the tasty meal at any time of the day.
Tom Yam Bee Hoon Recipe
This is a simple stir fry rice vermicelli ( Bee Hoon ) with pre-packed tom yam paste which you could buy at grocery shop, hypermarket or online store. It is either sold in glass jar or pre-packed sachets depending on your needs.
It is mild spicy, sweet and sourish flavor that blends well with any type of noodles, over night cooked rice and soups.
I am sure you will enjoy this Tom Yam recipe which is very easy to prepare for quick breakfast or lunch after school. Your family will enjoy this healthy, low cholesterol meal with a cup of cold beverage.
For kids, if you are worried they might dislike the taste, you could add in a teaspoon of light soy sauce and reduce the Tom Yam paste to 1 teaspoon instead.
Let's get cooking now !!
Do you like this recipe?
Ingredients to prepare
- 5 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 packet rice vermicelli, soaked in water
- 2 sachets Tom yam paste
- 6 shallots or 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small lime, cut into half
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut into long strips
- one handful cabbage or any leafy vegetable, cut into strips for cabbage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 stalks chives, cut into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt, pepper, to taste
How to boil the Beehoon
- Bring 1/2 pot of water to boil
- Strain the pre-soak beehoon into a colander.
- When the water starts to form some bubbles, transfer the beehoon into the pot.
- Let it boil under small fire.
- When the beehoon turn soft, turn the heat off.
- Pour the cooked beehoon into the colander under the running tap water to cool off the hot beehoon. This is to ensure the beehoon doesn't stick to each other.
- Drain the water and keep the beehoon aside.
How to fry the shallots
• Heat oil and fry the sliced shallots until crispy and golden brown.
• Scoop up the fried shallots and press out the excess oil with the spatula.
• Keep aside for later use.
Try this Rice Vermicelli
Instructions for Tom Yam Beehoon
- Remove 1/2 of the remaining oil.
- Stir fry chopped garlic, chives , cabbage, carrot under small fire.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked, move the vegetables to the side of the wok.
- Add a little oil in the center of the wok
- Pour in the beaten egg into the wok. Scramble the beaten egg.
- Mix the egg and vegetables together.
- Add in 2 sachets of Tom Yam paste, 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt and a few dash of pepper.
- Stir a couple of minutes.
- Do not burn the paste.
- Quickly add in the pre-boiled beehoon.
- Stir fry quickly so that the paste is well combine with the beehoon.
- If the beehoon are too dry, add 1/2 bowl of warm water and keep stir fry until the Tom Yam paste covers all over the bihun.
- Fry until beehoon are almost dry.
- Turn off heat and transfer fried beehoon to plates to finish them off!
- Add lime if you prefer the sour taste.
|Serving size: 4|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Other Quick and Recipes that You May Like
- Heart Shaped Egg Toast
Heart Shaped Egg Toast, a brilliant idea to give mom a surprise breakfast in bed on Mother's Day or Valentines or her Birthday. This breakfast is easy to prepare, just eggs, bread and a frying pan
- Nasi Lemak, Malaysia Common Dish
Nasi Lemak is also known as Coconut milk Rice in overseas. Many people in Asian countries love to eat nasi lemak in the morning for heavy breakfast or lunch. The secret to this recipe that makes it famous all over the world is the spicy sambal.
- HOT TASTY PORRIDGE
Porridge is a great dish for patients, anyone who has lack of appetite and toddlers too. Best of all, porridge is low in cholesterol, healthy and suitable for those who are on a diet.
- QUICK EASY STIR FRY MAGGIE MEE
Maggie mee is also known as instant noodles in Western countries. It is easy to cook and a flexible dish that matches with all sorts of ingredients that you can find in your refrigerator.
© 2012 peachy