Tom Yam Beehoon ( Rice Vermicelli )
UEFA Euro Soccer Fever Headache
The UEFA Euro 2012 Soccer fever is here again. It has just started to kick off a couple days ago and I am beginning to have a big headache about food. In Malaysia, one can watch the UEFA Euro 2012 Soccer match live on air between 12am to 4am in the wee hours of the morning where everyone is supposed to be sleeping.Hence, the guys at home are willingly to sacrifice their beauty sleep for the sake of their soccer obsession like any young, middle age and old men around the world.
As you may have guessed, when the soccer fan eyes are fixed at the soccer ball movements, hunger pangs occur since all the dinner food had been digested hours ago. These guys couldn't order home delivery food because all the fast food restaurant and eatery outlets are close after 10pm. Worst of all, they couldn't leave their seats except the urge to use the toilet to release their pee. So, I had to prepare some nutritious food for them rather than letting the guys indulge themselves into unhealthy snacks and beers.
Favorite Local Dish
The best thing about the guys are that they are not picky eaters and voluntarily wash up the dirty plates after the soccer match ends. The guys absolutely love to eat fried beehoon.
Besides nasi lemak, the top favorite local dish among Malaysians, rice vermicelli also locally known as "beehoon" or "bihun", is a big hit in the food court, hawker stalls and at home too. We love plain or Tom Yam fried beehoon because it is quick and easy to cook, delicious when mix with sambal paste or chilli sauce and healthy too, if you compare it to yellow noodles.
What is Rice Vermicelli?
Rice vermicelli are thin white noodles made from rice and a form of rice noodles. They are sometimes called as rice noodles or rice sticks in different countries.
Rice vermicelli are usually sold in a big packet which could yield at least 6 to 8 people at a cheap price ranging from $2 to $4, depending on the brands. They are dry form of noodles that you can stored up to several months. Rice vermicelli are often consume as a soup dish, stir fried or with thick gravy pour on top.
Do you like this recipe?
Plain Beehoon or Tom Yam Beehoon
Plain beehoon is similar to plain white rice except that plain beehoon has its own soy sauce taste. You can choose various of side dishes to go along with this dish such as stir fry vegetables, fried pork meat, bull eye eggs and fish cakes. I love to spice up my plain beehoon with additional sambal and sometimes chilli sauce.
Today, I self modified my plain beehoon with mixture of Tom yam paste and other vegetable ingredients that I could find in my refrigerator. I love the spiciness and tanginess of Tom Yam taste which blends well with strips of carrots, cabbage and any kind of seafood.
The advantage of Tom Yam beehoon are, this dish is easy and quick to cook, half of the packet could yield at least 4 people and it can last the whole day without turning stale if you can't finish the beehoon at one mealtime. Just heat up the Tom Yam beehoon and savour the tasty meal at any time of the day.
Ingredients to prepare
- 5 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 packet rice vermicelli, soaked in water
- 2 sachets Tom yam paste
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 small lime, cut into half
- 1/2 medium carrot, cut into long strips
- one handful cabbage or any leafy vegetable, cut into strips for cabbage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 stalks chives, cut into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt, pepper, to taste
How to boil the Beehoon
- Bring 1/2 pot of water to boil
- Strain the pre-soak beehoon into a colander.
- When the water starts to form some bubbles, transfer the beehoon into the pot.
- Let it boil under small fire.
- When the beehoon turn soft, turn the heat off.
- Pour the cooked beehoon into the colander under the running tap water to cool off the hot beehoon. This is to ensure the beehoon doesn't stick to each other.
- Drain the water and keep the beehoon aside.
How to fry the shallots
• Heat oil and fry the sliced shallots until crispy and golden brown.
• Scoop up the fried shallots and press out the excess oil with the spatula.
• Keep aside for later use.
Step by Step PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Tom Yam Beehoon
- Remove 1/2 of the remaining oil.
- Stir fry chopped garlic, chives , cabbage, carrot under small fire.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked, move the vegetables to the side of the wok.
- Add a little oil in the center of the wok
- Pour in the beaten egg into the wok. Scramble the beaten egg.
- Mix the egg and vegetables together.
- Add in 2 sachets of Tom Yam paste, 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt and a few dash of pepper.
- Stir a couple of minutes.
- Do not burn the paste.
- Quickly add in the pre-boiled beehoon.
- Stir fry quickly so that the paste is well combine with the beehoon.
- If the beehoon are too dry, add 1/2 bowl of warm water and keep stir fry until the Tom Yam paste covers all over the bihun.
- Fry until beehoon are almost dry.
- Turn off heat and transfer fried beehoon to plates to finish them off!
- Add lime if you prefer the sour taste.
|Serving size: 4|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Recommended Brands for the Ingredients
Other Quick and Recipes that You May Like
- Nasi Lemak, Malaysia Common Dish
Nasi Lemak is also known as Coconut milk Rice in overseas. Many people in Asian countries love to eat nasi lemak in the morning for heavy breakfast or lunch. The secret to this recipe that makes it famous all over the world is the spicy sambal.
- My Everything: EGGS WITH BACON AND SAUSAGE
This is the most simple and delicious Western dish, fried eggs with bacon and sausage made from chicken or pork. A great dish to satisfy one's appetite.
- HOT TASTY PORRIDGE
Porridge is a great dish for patients, anyone who has lack of appetite and toddlers too. Best of all, porridge is low in cholesterol, healthy and suitable for those who are on a diet.
- QUICK EASY STIR FRY MAGGIE MEE
Maggie mee is also known as instant noodles in Western countries. It is easy to cook and a flexible dish that matches with all sorts of ingredients that you can find in your refrigerator.
© 2012 peachy