- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central American Cuisine
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Was it Delicious?
Fresh salsa is simple to make and tastes so much better than the store bought variety. Spice up taco night with fresh salsa verde. Contrary to the way it looks, salsa verde is not usually as spicy as the red version, and it adds a crispy fresh crunch to burritos, enchiladas, or quesadillas.
The salsa verde is mainly tomatillos, which look like small green tomatoes with a husk on the outside. Though similar in look to the tomato, the flavor is crispy and a touch of tart. It reminds me of a cross between a tomato and a cucumber.
This recipe is simple and delicious. Try it for your next party and your guests will think you are so "amazing" with your homemade green salsa. We'll keep it a secret that it is five simple ingredients and takes about ten minutes to make. As a dip, serve with tortilla chips.
- 6 tomatillos, husked and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 TBS cilantro or parsley, minced (fresh)
- Wash and rinse the tomatillos. Chop into fine chunks.
- Dice the red onion and add it to the tomatillos.
- Seed and dice the jalapeno and add it to the mixture.
- Chop fresh parsley or cilantro and combine.
- FInally, add some sugar and stir together.
- Chill before serving.
Other Mexican Recipes by Julie
- Mexican Guacamole- An Authentic Recipe
Don't know how to make guacamole? This authentic mexican recipe makes fresh guacamole. Don't ever settle for store bought again. Seriously. The best. Ever.
- How to Make Tacos for a Taco Bar Party
Everything you need to know about creating a festive and authentic Mexican taco bar for your next gathering. This article includes all the recipes you need!