- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Tomato and egg-drop soup
Tomatoes are very good food because they provide many valuable nutrients. They are rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E. They also contain lycopene，a powerful antioxidant, and other valuable nutrient. Therefore, consuming tamatoes on a daily basis can help support cardiovascular health, bone health, and protect the consumers against cancers, reduced risk of some neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's disease i and reduced risk of obesity are also reported in some research studies.
There are many ways to use tomatoes in cooking. Here in this hub I will describe how do I make tomato egg drop soup as follows.
- To make tomato and egg-drop soup, I chop 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes (about 1.5 lb) as in Fig. 2., Break 3 eggs in a bowl as in Fig.4, and mix them in the bowl as in Fig. 5.
- Heat up a pot with clear water, and put in 1-2 oz soy saurce, 1-2 oz vegetable oil, a table spoon of salt, a table spoon of finely chopped fresh or frozen gingers, a pinch of dried baby shrimps, finely chopped (many of you who are not Chinese may not know what I mean by dried baby shrimps, I put a picture of them in Fig. 6).
- Continue to heat the pot until the content is boiling.
- Put in the chopped tomatoes from Fig. 2.
- Slowly and continuously drip the mixed egg in Fig. 5 into the boiling pot while mixing the content in the pot with a kitchen tool like some chopsticks or a big scoope with long handle.
- Mix 2 oz dry starch with 4-5 oz water in a bowl and pour the mixed liquid starch in the pot while mixing. this step can prevent the content of the pot from separating from each other and make the soup more consistent.
- Chop the scallion leaves and cilantra leaves finely and put them in the pot.
- Now the soup is ready to serve as in Fig. 1.
As I mentioned in the beginning of this hub, the nutritional values and health benefitst of tomatoes are multifaceted. To maximize the benefits and take advantages of the nutritional values of tomatoes, we need to find the better way to prepare them. Raw tomatoes are crispy and tasty, but the cooked tomatoes can release more nutrients, especially, lycopene which is the most potent antioxidant and a cancer-fighter in tomatoes. Cooking makes some nutrients in the tomatoes easier to be absorbed. In addition, don't peel tomatoes and eat them with peels because tomato peels contains more carotenoids and flavonols that are also good for our health.
This soup tastes very delicious and looks beautiful and enticing as you can see in Fig. 5. You can drink this soup while eating pancakes, bread, or any food you like. I also like to scramble fresh tomatoes with eggs that may become another hub in the near future.