Top 10 quick and cheap veggie/vegan meals [#2: Quinoa with rice]
Pronounced “keenwaa” Quinoa is probably the most perfectly-balanced nutritional ingredient on the planet. It contains nine essential amino acids and provides more protein, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants, and phytonutrients than most other grains. So it’s good!
Mixed with a soft rice like basmati, cheese and chilli, it’s a knock-out quick dish.
APPROX COST (per serving): £0.70p/ $1.10
- 100g / 4oz Quinoa
- 200g / 8oz Basmati rice
- 1 Stock cube
- ¾ litre / 1 pt Water
- to taste Chilli flakes (optional)
- sprinkle Cheese (cheddar)
- Boil your water in a kettle then add it to a pan.
- Add your stock cube.
- When the stock is boiling, add the quinoa and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
- Add the basmati and continue to boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
- Once you can see the “tails” on the quinoa, turn off the heat.
- Drain the excess stock from the pan and cover for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Add the cheese and chilli.
- Stir, season to taste and serve.
Other articles in this series
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#1: Beans on toast with a twist]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#2: Quinoa rice]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#3: Veggie shepherd’s pie]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#4: Chickpea Moloshyam]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#5: Mushroom risotto]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#6: Cheese Omelette]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#7: Veggie Nasi Goreng]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#8: Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#9: Macaroni cheese]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#10: Curried eggs]
Books on Quinoa
- Top 10 must-have kitchen ingredients
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 wild food foraging recipes
Reducing food costs and re-connecting with nature: A selection of interesting recipes where the main ingredients can be found in the wild by simple foraging.
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 chef’s tips (part 2)
Continuing on our journey of chef's tips and culinary techniques, we cover tips from optimal salad ingredients and dressing ratios to getting rid of garlic breath.