Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#3: Vegetarian shepherd’s pie]
When is a shepherd’s pie not a shepherd’s pie? When it’s cottage pie. OK – no idea why we call it different things (anyone know?), but essentially the photo is roughly what we are talking about. Yes, we are using a cheap, vegetarian option for the “mince” but it does the trick and is high in protein.
APPROXIMATE COST: 80p / $1.30
- 6 Potatoes, peeled & sliced thickly
- 200g / 8oz Red lentils
- ½ tablespoon Oil (any cooking)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1 Tomatoes (tinned)
- 2 teaspoons Dried mixed herbs
- splash Milk
- generous knob Butter
- Boil a full kettle of water then pour half into the base of a steamer and the rest into a small pan.
- Put the potatoes in the top of the steamer; lightly salt; and cover. (If you don’t have a steamer, pour the water into a large lidded pan and add the potatoes directly, then cover.)
- Steam / boil the potatoes until soft (around 5-7 minutes).
- In the meantime, add the lentils to the small pan and boil until soft (about 5 minutes). NOTE: Do not cover the pan with lentils in as the water is likely to boil over.
- While the potatoes and lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a large wok or lidded frying pan.
- Add the chopped onion and carrot, and allow to cook covered until the onion is see-through. (About 5 minutes.)
- Add the tomatoes, lentils and mixed herbs.
- Add seasoning.
- Mash the potatoes (with a splash of milk and a generous knob of butter).
- OPTION: Put the lentil mixture in an oven-proof dish; spoon the mashed potato on top and grill until the mashed potato has a golden brown crust.
Other articles in this series
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#1: Beans on toast with a twist]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#2: Quinoa rice]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#3: Veggie shepherd’s pie]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#4: Chickpea Moloshyam]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#5: Mushroom risotto]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#6: Cheese Omelette]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#7: Veggie Nasi Goreng]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#8: Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#9: Macaroni cheese]
Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals [#10: Curried eggs]
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 wild food foraging recipes
Reducing food costs and re-connecting with nature: A selection of interesting recipes where the main ingredients can be found in the wild by simple foraging.
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...