- Food and Cooking
Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes - #6. Lemon Aloo Gobi
A tranquil shelter from hot, spicy food, this wonderful potato and cauliflower accompaniment offers the subtle aromas of traditional Indian cuisine, further enhanced by the liberal use of lemon in this variation.
Spice Spotlight: mustard seeds
Mustard seeds range from white, yellow, red, brown to black. Their degree of spice also varies, with yellow being particularly fiery and brown being fairly mild. Traditionally they have been used extensively across the Middle East and South East Asia
- 2 tbsp ghee or groundnut/rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4cm/1½in piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 lemon juice + zest
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
Original provenance of aloo gobi.
- Heat the oil at medium heat and add the onion, ginger, mustard seeds, curry leaves and cumin seeds.
- Cook about 2 minutes until the mustard seeds start to pop. (Caution: Be ready for this and a lid to stop the seeds popping out of the pan.)
- Add the garlic, potatoes, remaining spices and season with salt.
- Cover and continue cooking 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add a little water if the potatoes start to stick.
- Add the cauliflower, lemon juice and zest, sugar, water and coriander.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Stirring occasionally, continue cooking 10 minutes, or until potatoes and cauliflower are tender
- Remove the curry leaves.
- Top 10 chefs tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes
Reducing food costs and re-connecting with nature: A selection of interesting recipes where the main ingredients can be found in the wild by simple foraging.
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard