Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes - #7. Wild Garlic Chapattis
For garlic lovers everywhere! Enjoy your soft, warm and freshly-made chapattis with a generous burst of garlic flavour. Combine it with the garlic & coriander Tarka dhal recipe for a double garlic hit!
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp groundnut / rapeseed oil
- good handful Wild garlic, finely chopped
- (judgement) Water
- Salt to taste
“Spice” Spotlight: Wild garlic
Wild garlic has similar benefits to standard garlic - effectively reducing high blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels; and reducing susceptibility to colds and viruses. Wild garlic grows in wooded areas and can be easily grown as an additional herb in your garden.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add the salt.
- Make a well in the flour and add the oil and wild garlic.
- Stir the mixture then slowly add a little water at a time, mixing between additions.
- Stir to form a smooth dough that holds together and leaves the side of the bowl clean. (If too sticky, add a little more flour; if to crumbly add a little more water.)
- Take the dough out of the bowl and kneed on a clean, floured surface.
- Divide dough into 12 balls
- Lightly coat one ball in dry flour
- Flatten the ball and roll to a circle (add extra flour if sticking to the rolling pin)
- Heat a small frying pan (griddle) on a medium heat and add chapatti
- When bumps form across surface of chapatti, turn over
- Once second side is cooked to same as first, turn it over again.
- After a few seconds, press down the puffed chapatti with a spatula
- Once fully puffed, take out and serve immediately or store in a kitchen-towel lined container (this will keep the chapattis soft and stop them drying out).
Chapattis originate from Bengal / Sri Lanka & other Dravidian regions of the Indian subcontinent
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes
Reducing food costs and re-connecting with nature: A selection of interesting recipes where the main ingredients can be found in the wild by simple foraging.
- Top 10 chefs tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...