Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #1. Cream of dandelion & broccoli soup
This soup is a wonderful vibrant green, and is interestingly offset by a garnish of (edible) dandelion flowers.
Dandelions are one of the richest green vegetable source of beta-carotene, from which Vitamin A is created, and the third richest source of Vitamin A of all vegetarian foods. (If you eat meat, only cod-liver oil and beef liver are higher.) Additionally, dandelions are a good source of protein, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and the B vitamins, thiamine and riboflavin, and are a good source of fibre.
- 900g / 2lb dandelion leaves, washed
- 1 tablespoon butter / margarine
- 1 ltr / 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 broccoli (small), roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 600 ml / 2½ cups milk
- Dandelion flowers for garnish (optional)
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the dandelion leaves, carrot and broccoli. Cover and steam fry for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, slowly add the milk stirring all the time.
- Puree the mixture in a food blender and return to the pan for a re-heat.
- Season to taste.
- Serve in bowls with (optional) garnish of dandelion flowers.
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.