- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #10. Japanese knotweed & roast butternut squash soup
This Japanese knotweed and roast butternut squash soup is smooth and substantial. A welcome change and a forager's delight.
Japanese knotweed is a concentrated source of emodin (which helps regulate bowel motility).
- 400g / 2 cups Butternut squash, peeled, chopped (cubes)
- 400g / 2 cups Japanese Knotweed, leaves removed & chopped
- 1 + 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1ltr / 4 cups stock
- Brush the chunks of butternut squash with one tablespoon of the vegetable oil and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in a 220C oven for 20 minutes turning occasionally.
- Separately, heat the oil in a pan and lightly sautee the onion. Add the stock and the knotweed.
- Bring to a simmer and cook (covered) for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add both the stock mixture and butternut squash to a food blender and puree.
- Whisk the sour cream into the hot soup.
- Serve hot.
Other articles in this series
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 must-have kitchen ingredients
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.