- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #2. Dandelion & Rocket salad with Halloumi
Forage dandelions from your own garden or nearby park and make this straightforward and delicious salad in minutes.
Many people view dandelions as a weed. However, they should be viewed more as a food opportunity as they contain amazing amounts Vitamin A.
The best dandelions leaves are the smaller, younger ones. Use the older (after blanching) for soups.
Also avoid picking dandelion leaves which grow near a busy road as they absorb vehicle fumes.
- 100ml/3 fl oz Olive oil
- 25ml/1fl oz white wine vinegar
- ½ lemon lemon (juice of)
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- For the Salad:
- large handful handful of young dandelion leaves
- small handful rocket leaves
- 80g / 3oz halloumi cheese
- Drop olive oil
- Make the dressing by whisking the oil, vinegar and lemon juice together in a bowl. Add the sugar and season to taste.
- Wash and clean the dandelion and rocket leaves and dry on kitchen towel paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the halloumi over a medium heat until crisp.
- When the halloumi is crisp, drain on a piece of kitchen towel paper and cut into smaller pieces.
- Keep the halloumi warm.
- Dress the salad leaves with the dressing and toss well in a bowl.
- To serve, place the salad leaves on plates, and arrange the halloumi pieces over the top.
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.