- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #3. Cream of Nettle soup
A wonderful, quick nettle recipe with a delightful taste to reward the nettle forager.
Nettles have a near perfect balance of iron, vitamin C, calcium and magnesium and are a traditional remedy for people who are run down.
A handful of nettles provides more than 100 percent of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A. They also have 40 percent protein content and contain an impressive range of minerals.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons plain white flour
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 handfuls young nettles, (picked with gloves)
- 500ml / 2 cups milk (or soya milk)
- 250ml / 1 cup water or stock
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for a few minutes.
- Add the nettles and stir until they soften.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute.
- Slowly (to avoid lumps forming) add the milk and water / stock, stirring all the time.
- Add seasonings and liquidise.
- Re-heat if needed and check seasoning.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chef's tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.