- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #5. Wild Garlic Pesto
Wild garlic has similar properties to the cultivated variety. It is effective in reducing high blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels. It has been suggested it may also have antiviral properties – keeping the common cold and other viruses at bay.
Wild garlic grows in wooded areas. It is best picked in late spring (April/May) before the flowers are fully out. That isn’t to say you cannot still pick the garlic later in the year.
Wild garlic is identifiable by it’s strong garlic smell!
- 2 bunches wild garlic leaves, washed
- 25g / 1oz Pine / mixed nuts (or sunflower seeds)
- Handful fresh basil (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Place the garlic leaves, basil (optional) and nuts / seeds in a blender.
- Blitz (blend) the mixture then slowly add enough olive oil to blend smoothly as you go.
- TIP: Adding lemon juice will reduce the amount of oil needed
- Mix into pasta
- spread onto bruchetta
- dilute with vinegar/lemon juice and use as salad dressing
- mix in with boiled potatoes
- added interest in sandwiches
The leaves are good in soups, stews, sauces and with anything where you want a garlic flavour.
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.