Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #6. Acorn coffee
Acorns are low in Cholesterol and Sodium and high in Manganese. Acorns also have a high tannin content, leading them to be a good tea/coffee substitute.
(SPOILER: Don't expect anything that tastes like coffee or tea. Acorn coffee is an acquired taste with a very unique flavour. Worth a try for those adventurous types tired with the same old tea / coffee taste.)
- 1kg/2 lb acorns
- Boil the acorns in water for around 15 minutes, topping up the water during the cooking.
- Drain the acorns and spread them out on a clean, drying cloth thereby allowing them to cool.
- Once dry, peel the outer skin of the acorns leaving the inner "fruit".
- Break the acorns in half; place them on a clean, drying cloth, and place them in your airing cupboard (or other warm place) for two days to allow them to fully dry out.
- Once the acorns pieces are completely dry, grind the acorn pieces using a coffee grinder to a fine coarse powder.
- Set your oven to 200C / 390F.
- Spread the acorn powder out on a oven baking tray and roast in the pre-heated oven. Turn the powder frequently to ensure no burning.
- Once the powder has been roasted to coffee colour, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To make a drink
1. 1 ½ tsp per cup to a cafetiere.
2. Pour boiling water over the top and make the drink, just as you would coffee.
3. Allow to infuse for a few minutes.
4. Add milk and sugar to taste and serve.
Foraging on amazon
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.