Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #7. Acorn flour and acorn flour tortillas
Acorn flour provides acorn flour tortillas with a unique flavour and a really soft texture.
You get two recipes for the price of one here!
To learn how to make acorn flour read on.
- Acorn Flour:
- several handfuls Fresh acorns
- Acorn Flour Tortillas:
- 220g / 8oz rice flour or whole-grain flour
- 110g /4oz acorn flour
- 50g / 2oz arrowroot
- 3 tbsp corn oil
- 120ml / ½ cup lukewarm water
- (For the acorn flour)
- Peel off the skins from the acorns.
- Put the peeled acorns in a mortar then pound to a paste.
- Put the paste in a large vessel then cover well with water.
- Leave to soak for 12 hour, ideally changing the water [by sieving the acorn paste each time] 2 to 3 times during that period.
- Next, drain the acorn meal through a fine-meshed sieve.
- Wrap the acorn meal in a triple layer of muslin / cheesecloth
- Place between two boards and put plenty of weight on top.
- Allow the excess moisture to be squeezed out for 24 hours.
- Now spread the acorn meal over a baking tray and dry in an oven (set at 60°C) for around 1½ hrs.
- Finally, process the acorn meal to a powder in a coffee grinder / food processor and put in an air-tight jar and store as you would wheat flour.
- (For the Tortillas)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Stir-in the corn oil then add just enough water to make a soft dough that you can press into a very thin sheet between your fingers.
- If the dough is too sticky to work, add more flour.
- If the dough is too crumbly, add a drop more water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equally-sized dough balls.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the balls into flat, round disks with the thickness of a standard flour tortilla.
- Place a large non-stick pan on high heat and use this to cook each tortilla on both sides until flecked with brown (less than 1 minute altogether). Don't overcook or the tortillas will get hard.
- Use as you would ordinary flour tortillas.
Suggested tortilla fillings:
· Chimichangas – guacamole, lettuce, quorn (or beef)
· Pinwheels – cheese, sour cream, red onion, tomato salsa
· Vesuvius – cheese, cilantro leaf, guacamole, lettuce, jalapeno peppers
· Enchilada – refried beans, cheese, chillies, onions.
Other articles in this series
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.