Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #8. Spiced rosehip and sweet potato soup
This spicy and warming seasonal rosehip soup is a wonderful reward for the hedgerow forager.
Rose hips are cherry-sized, red or orange fruits of the rose plant. They are used for herbal tea, jam, jelly, marmalade, pies, bread, wine and….soups (see below).
Rose hips are high in vitamin C and contain vitamins A, D and E, essential fatty acids, and high levels of antioxidant flavonoids. They are known for their antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antiallergenic properties.
- 250g/9oz rosehips, washed
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500ml/17 fl oz stock
- creme fraiche, to serve
- Boil the rosehips in a pan of water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and mash with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onoin until soft.
- Add the garlic, chilli flakes and sweet potatoes and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Sieve the rosehips through a fine sieve, collecting the juice and add to the pan containing the soup ingredients.
- Add the stock and bring the soup to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatos have softened (10 mins).
- Blend in a food processor.
- Serve garnished with a spoonful of creme fraiche in each bowl.
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.