Top 10 most delicious wild food foraging recipes - #9. Blackberry & Rosehip Crumble
Foraging for blackberries and rosehips in late summer can be satisfying in itself. Combining succulent blackberries and sumptuous rosehips with a sweet crumble topping makes it doubly worthwhile!
- 200g / 1 cup blackberries
- 200g / 1 cup rose hips
- 2 teaspoons baking powder / bicarbonate of soda
- 200g / 1 cup flour (plain)
- 100g / ½ cup butter
- 350g / 1¾ cups brown sugar
- 50g / ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- (Preferably on a marble / granite chopping board) quickly chop up the butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture.
- With your finger tips, crumble the butter with the flour mixture so that the butter breaks into smaller and smaller pieces.
- Once the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, mix in the brown sugar and sunflower seeds.
- Heat the blackberries and rosehips in a pan for about 10 minutes with enough water to keep the mixture from sticking. Stir occasionally.
- Spoon the mixture into an over proof dish and sprinkle with the crumble.
- Bake at 175C (350 F) for 35 - 45 minutes or until crumble is golden brown.
- Serve with warmed custard / cream / creme fraiche / vanilla ice cream.
Other articles in this series
- Top 10 chefs' tips
Want to know how to stop crying when you chop onions? Make the perfect roux? Cook fantastically fluffy and light basmati rice? Or simply an easy way to finely chop onions? Read on...
- Top 10 quick and cheap veggie meals (for £1 / $1.60 or less!)
Ten quick and easy vegetarian meals - from Indonesia and India to Italy, France and the UK.
- Top 10 cooking ingredients you must have in your kitchen
You’ve got all the main ingredients to make your favourite dish but…you don’t have that essential ingredient which makes or breaks the meal. Here is a top 10 list of must have kitchen ingredients which you should always have in your kitchen cupboard
- Indian feast: Top 10 tastiest Indian vegetarian dishes for a truly memorable meal
Treat yourself, family and friends to a fabulous vegetarian Indian feast. This will be a truly memorable meal with everything from home-made balti onion bhajis, green cardamom popadums through to garlic & coriander tarka dhal and Spicy Mushroom R
- Top 10 steps to going green
10 quick and easy ways to becoming more ecologically aware and moving towards a sustainable lifestyle. In short – going “green”.