Top tips for the kitchen in times of economic crisis
what to do if...
- I added too much salt in the food. Do not throw the soup away. Peel a potato and add it in the soup. Let it boil a bit more. Taste the soup and if you are happy with it, then remove the potato and the soup is ready to be served.
- The egg that I want to boil is slightly cracked. Do not throw the egg away. Add a little vinegar in some water and boil the egg.
- The milk is expiring today. Make a rice pudding with it or a vanilla cream for dessert or you can make a cheese sauce and pour it over steamed vegetables.
- The onions look like they are about to go off. Chop the onions and lay them on some greaseproof paper. Put them in the freezer for a few hours till they are completely frozen. Then, put them in a plastic food bag and leave them in the freezer till you need them. Every time you need a bit of onion in your food, you won’t have to spent time chopping or crying!
- There is some wine left after a party. Pour the wine in ice cube trays and put it in the freezer. This way, you can have ready made wine ice cubes to add to your foods.
- I have vegetables that are about to go off. The first thing you could cook is a lovely homemade mixed vegetable soup. The second thing, is to boil the vegetables and put them in ice cube trays or small jars and store them in the freezer, to use as vegetable stock in your cooking.
- How to store parsley, dill, basil and celery for longer. All this herbs are needed in different foods but we rarely use a lot of it. The best way to have it always available is to wash them very well, dry them and chop them up. Put them in plastic food bags or containers and keep in the freezer.
- The bananas have ripped a lot. Wrap the bananas in cling film and store them in the freezer. When you need them, defrost, peel and add in cakes, banana bread or other sweets.
- Left over bread. Never throw bread away. Add little oil in a pan and whatever spices you like and fry for a few minutes. You will have the most delicious croutons ever.
- Cheese leftovers. You have a selection of different kinds of cheese from different packs but do not know what to do with it. Keep them in a container in the freezer and use them at a later date on top of a home made pizza, lasagne or cheese soufflé.
Any more tips and ideas are welcome. Economic crisis or not, smart ideas for the kitchen is a must.