- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Best Hispanic Dessert Recipes: Torta de Almendra Or Spanish Orange Almond Cake
Orange-Almond Cake (Torta de Almendra)
What is Torta de Almendra? It is an orange-almond cake that originated in Spain but is a Mexican favorite as well.
I found this recipe 30+ years ago in my Betty Crocker International Cookbook. I have used this countless times for a quick and easy New Year's dessert or if I was looking for something authentic to cap off a Spanish or Mexican meal. It is not as sweet as many cakes and it holds up well for buffets so it quickly became a favorite among my family and friends.
I also love the combination of orange and almonds. A little extra flavor is added by using Grand Marnier or orange-flavored liqueur.
Torta de Almendra Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups flour or 1-1/2 cups cake flour (I prefer cake flour)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shortening (may substitute margarine or butter)
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel (fresh or dried)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour round layer cake pan or square pan 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 (or lightly spray with vegetable spray)
- Combine all ingredients except almonds, 1 tablespoon sugar and the liqueur in a large bowl.
- Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds.
- Beat on high speed scraping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in oven until wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean (round pan for 40 minutes, square pan for 40-45 minutes)
- Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Drizzle with liqueur.
- Cool 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool completely.
For a different twist, you can substitute almond-flavored liqueurs or other liqueurs to taste. Some varieties of this recipe have more of an icing on top of the cake as well but I like the cake baked as above.