- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Manakeesh with Zaatar & Cheese from the Arabic Cuisine
Manakeesh or manaeesh or in singular form man’ouche,is a kind of bread and traditional breakfast meal in the morning from the Arabic cuisine and famous especially in the Levant region. And it has historical roots and many families prepare it in traditional method.
Manakeesh is a kind of flat bread looks like pizza but it has different toppings such as Zaatar,cheese, vegetables and meat.You can eat Manakeesh in the morning or any time and serve it as appetizers but it has special taste in the morning. All bakeries in the morning sell Manakeesh with many kinds of bread, and you can prepare Manakeesh at your home and add your favorite topping cause its easy meal . You can drink cup of tea with Manakeash or any kind of juice and share this meal with your neighbors. In this recipe we used zaatar and cheese.
Manakeesh like Pizza
You can prepare your own Manakeesh at your home and add your favorite toppings. Mnakeesh dough is easy you can form it in round shape such as pizza and any size large or small and put any kind of toppings, but the most popular topping and preferred for many people is Zaatar.
Zaatar and Thyme in English is herb has a strong smell and many benefits for health,and it is used for cooking because its strong flavor. At the Arabic cuisine, the Zaatar leaves are dried under the sun then, grind and mix with sumac and sesame seeds .You can buy prepared Zaatar from markets or prepare it at your home. Also, you can add olive oil on Zaatar and eat it with any kinds of bread as a snack.
- 4 cups flour, all purpose.
- 1/3 cup olive oil.
- 1 tsp sugar.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1 tsp active dry yeast.
- 1 cup warm water, for dough.
- 2 cup dried zaatar, with sumac and sesame.
- 1/2 cup olive oil, for Zaatar topping.
- you can add any kind of cheese such as feta cheese mixed with mint leafs, or Kashkaval cheese.
- Put the flour, salt, sugar, yeast and oil in large bowel then mix them together.
- Add the warm water and integrate all the ingredients with your hands may you need to add more water if necessary .and form a soft dough.
- Cover it with a nylon or towel and set aside for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Prepare the filling, in other bowel, mix Zaatar with olive oil. And mix cheese with mint leafs.
- When the dough has doubled in size, divide it to 10 equal balls. Sprinkle some flour on top of the balls to ban sticking.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean counter top and sprinkle some more on your rolling pin.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C /450°F.
- Place one ball of dough over the floured surface and stretch it with the rolling pin to a round circle. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Transfer each rolled dough to baking sheet or a baking stone. Then, put Zaatar mix or the blend of cheese and mint on the surface of the dough and spread it until the edges.
- Open your oven after preheat and put Manakeesh and wait for 10 minutes or Manakeesh gets a golden color and crispy crust.
How to Prepare Manakeesh
You Can Add Any Kind of Cheese as a Topping
Manakeesh is a Simple Dish
Manakeeh is considered an essential breakfast meal in the morning especially in the weekend and it doesn't cost a lot if you want prepare it by your own method,and if you eat a lot of Manakeesh you will not gain over weight because it's light and simple dish. Manakeesh or manouche is a loved meal for rich and poor people.
And I am interested to know you opinion about this amazing meal.