- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southern European Cuisine
Traditional Italian Spaghetti Bolognese sauce. spag bol for short. The best recipe you will ever try. Plus garlic bread
What do you need for the sauce?
- 30g (1 ounce) unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 115g (4 ounces) of baby or button mushrooms
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 500g of mince beef
- 1 glass full of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of double cream
- 4 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper
Spaghetti Bolognese is a true classic of a dish that every nation around the world enjoys. The Italians do know how to make a great meal don't they?
This is a truly tasty meal that every household should have a recipe for. I don't know a single person who doesn't like Spaghetti Bolognese so instead of making one out of a jar why not try a true Italian version which is full of taste and texture. You won't go back believe me.
I have also included a quick recipe at the bottom for making your own garlic bread. A perfect compliment to a great meal.
How to make the sauce:
- Add a little olive oil to a pan and heat gently.
- To this you should add the minced beef and chopped garlic.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- While this is cooking you can chop the onion, garlic, celery, bacon and bay leaves into small chunks.
- Add the onion, celery, bacon and bay leaves to the mix.
- Stir and cook until the bacon done.
- Next you can add the wine and stir the mixture well again.
- This needs to be reduced a little before adding the mushrooms, thyme and oregano.
- The tinned tomatoes and tomato puree can then be added along with the beef stock.
- The mixture should be stired well and covered at this point.
- The heat should be turned right down and left to simmer for a few hours. The longer this process, the better the flavours will marinate.
- You should keep an eye on this process as the liquid will evaporate over time and therefore to stop the sauce from burning you should top up with a little more red wine.
- After a few hours you can remove from the heat, take the bay leaves out and add the two tablespoons of double cream.
- Stir this in well and pile on top of hot spaghetti.
- Serve with garlic bread and top off with flakes of parmesan cheese.
What do I need for Garlic bread?
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 baguette
- Parmesan cheese
How do I make Garlic Bread?
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 f).
- Cut the butter into small cubes.
- Finely chop the two cloves of garlic and parsley.
- Add this to the butter with the oil and mix.
- The bagette should be cut using a serrated knife into slices around 2cm wide (roughly 1 inch) Do not cut all the way through so the slices of bagette remain attached.
- Gently part each slice and spoon in some of the butter mix.
- Do this for each section and then sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the bread.
- Wrap the load in foil and place in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes.
- To brown the bread, open the foil up and bake for a further 5 minutes.