Divinity is a traditional candy similar to sea foam. It's light and sugary, embellished with a walnut or pecan to give it more flavor. To get divinity just right you'll have to pay attention to the texture and temperature of the candy. This candy requires low humidity to get the best results but despite it's finicky nature the end result is well worth the work.
- 2 egg whites, (room temperature)
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/3 Cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Cup pecan or walnuts
- Put egg whites in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt in a heavy saucepan. bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly.
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes without stirring.
- Remove lid and cook the mixture without stirring until it registers 254 degrees Fahrenheit on your candy thermometer.
- While the mixture is cooking beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Pour the cooked mixture over the egg whites in a thin stream while beating slowly.
- Add vanilla and beat the mixture until it loses it's glossy appearance and can hold its shape..
- Drop the mixture in spoonfuls onto a buttered cooking sheet.
- Press a nut into the center of each candy and leave to set.