Truffle-Infused Macaroni & Cheese
To me, nothing says comfort food quite like homemade macaroni and cheese. The creamy cheese sauce paired with al dente elbow pasta is just perfect to fill me up on a cold day and comfortably sticks to my ribs. Even though it's classified as an Italian dish, homemade macaroni and cheese goes great with American barbeque or roasted chicken and with the addition of some ham and/or peas, this side dish can quickly become a meal unto itself! Here's a very easy (and delicious) recipe for what has got to be one of my favorite dishes ever. Salud!
- 1 package dried elbow macaroni (7 ounces)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 cup manufacturing cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cubed or shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed or shredded gruyere cheese *
- 1/4 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- 2 tsp. plus 1 tsp. white truffle oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. panko or unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
* For a milder tasting macaroni and cheese, Monterrey jack cheese can be subsituted for the gruyere.
Step 1) Par-cook the Pasta - Cook the dried macaroni just slightly under the time recommended on the package (al dente) to avoid over-cooking it in the last step. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking any longer then set aside.
Step 2) Make the Sauce - In a medium sauce-pan, melt the butter together with the flour and mix until it's fully incorporated. Next, slowly add the manufacturing cream and milk while stirring. Bring to a simmer then add the cheddar and gruyere (or jack if subsituting). Once the cheese is completely melted, add the Velveeta, fresh thyme, onion powder and 2 tsp. of the truffle oil. Mix into the pasta and pour the pasta and sauce into a 9" x 9" baking dish or into 4 individual souffle dishes.
Step 3) Crumbs make the Dish - In a small mixing bowl, add the fresh grated parmesan, panko or unseasoned bread crumbs, paprika and 1 tsp. of the truffle oil and mix. Sprinkle the mix evenly over the top of the pasta and sauce and then bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Before removing from the oven, turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the top but keep an eye on it to avoid burning the dish.
- shaved black or white truffles
- fresh peas
- roasted red pepper
- roasted garlic
- ham or pancetta
- sun-dried tomatoes
Please visit some of my other Perfect Recipe hubs!
- How to make Perfect Hollandaise - Great on Eggs Benedict, Asparagus and Poached Salmon, this recipe includes helpful videos and tips to assure you success!
- How to make Perfect Demi-Glace - This is a great hub if you've ever wanted to make Demi-Glace at home. This easy to follow recipe is based on the classic Escoffier recipe taught to students throughout the world at Cordon Bleu certified schools.
- How to make Perfect Pesto - Who doesn't love Pesto? Here's a recipe you can make at home in your blender or food processor in a matter of minutes! This hub also talks about the benefits of using a Mortar & Pestle, and provides handy links to shop for the right one.
- Steamed Mussels in Garlic Saffron Broth - Truly, one of my favorite recipes. Mussels were one of the first things I ever learned how to cook, and this recipe was perfected over decades of experimenting with freshly caught Pacific Black Mussels.
- How to make Perfect Meatballs - Try this authentic Sicilian recipe the next time you're in the mood for meatballs! This hub also includes some great tips for avoiding dried-out meatballs, and links to some great Italian cookbooks. Salud!
- Cream of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - One of my signature soups. This recipe can be served hot or cold, and is sure to be the best squash soup you'll ever taste!
- Creamy Champagne Viniagrette - This easy to make viniagrette goes great as a dressing or a marinade, and is needed to make the Perfect Portobello Mushroom Appetizer. I gaurantee you'll love this one!
- Chef Delaney's Perfect BBQ Spice Rub - Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but here's my secret spice rub recipe. Alright, I guess you can tell your friends and family... but that's it! This rub goes great on anything you want to throw on the grill and is easy to make. Try this on ribs with my famous Smoked Peach and Chipotle BBQ Sauce and be prepared to be impressed!
- Smoked Peach and Chipotle BBQ Sauce - Another Chef Delaney signature recipe, this sauce combines sweet, spicy and smoky flavors in perfect harmony to create a grilling sauce with just the right amount of stickiness, and a one of a kind flavor that will boost you from Backyard Chef to Grill-Master in no time!