Turkey Stew Soup Recipe
Italian Turkey Stew - Soup
Turkey Stew using left over turkey
I love this dish and created it myself. It is an Italian Turkey Soup or stew that is a wonderful family dish to serve. Perfect for those leftovers after Thanks Giving.
If you want to serve it any other time of year, purchase a split turkey breast and cook with celery, onion and turkey seasonings. A small cooking bag in the oven is better to maintain the juices and use the juices in this recipe; incorporating into the gravy.
Fall and winter dishes with ingredients like turkey meat and beans offer hardiness. Adding crackers or garlic covered bisuits or rolls, garnish the dinner and is the only side needed with this soup.
This is a much healthier, lower carbohydrate dish because it doesn't contain potatoes. My daughter normally avoids beans, she eats them in this dish!
Turkey Stew Pictures
Ingredients for Stew
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, For the skillet
- 2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 1 Carrot, I prefer baby carrots, use 12-15
- 1 small onion, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can 14 1/2 ounces Diced Tomatoes, No salt if you can to reduce sodium
- 1 can or 1 cup real Turkey Gravy
- 1/8 cup Basil fresh leaves, or 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf, and 1 small sprig Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, are a few sprigs of fresh
- 2 to 2/12 pounds Leftover Turkey or Split Turkey Breast
- 1 can 15 ounces Navy Beans or Great Northern White Beans, Any white beans
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp celery salt, for the turkey before baking and in the skillet
Prepare and cook this thick hardy soup
- If you have leftover turkey meat, chop it into bite sized pieces. If not, you will prepare the split turkey breast and bake it in the oven. Use a meat thermometer if you can to ensure it rises above 180 degrees internal temperature.
- Split turkey breast, set oven to 350 degrees. The package pictured is close to 2 and 1/2 pounds and baked for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Rub olive oil to coat the turkey lightly. Season with Turkey seasoning and pepper. Sprinkle a tiny amount of celery salt over the meat. Add 1/4 of onion and a stalk of celery in half inside the small turkey bag, close and place in the oven.
- Chop the celery, carrot and the rest of the onion.
- Heat the skillet with 1 Tbls olive oil on medium heat.
- In the skillet, add the celery, carrot and onions. Saute 5-7 minutes till the onions look more clear.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper, rosemary, thyme and single bay leaf. Stir to mix well.
- Add the cooked chopped turkey meat and stir into the mix. Add the can of white beans and can of turkey gravey, plus any fresh gravy from the turkey (if you cooked the split turkey and used juices to make gravy from it)
- Add more seasoning if needed, you can add a little celery salt as an optional seasoning. Reduce heat to medium low, leave uncovered and cook 10 minutes.
- It is ready to serve in bowls with rolls, oyster crackers or the garlic biscuits. Whichever you prefer.
More Recipes by Bridalletter
- Apple Chips Recipe for Food Dehydrator
How to make healthy apple chips. Apple cider style seasoning mix recipe. How to video guide and Holiday food gifting idea. Use your food dehydrator to make healthy family snacks.
- Potato Salad Simple Summer Recipe Dish
Potato Salad Recipe. Easy Family summer side dish for burgers or BBQ. Serve cold. Simple recipe for potato salad. Video recipe.
- Mac and Cheese Recipe Baked In a Smoker
Mac and Cheese recipe. Cooked in an electic smoker. Baked pasta with a smoke flavor. Perfect mac and cheese in one hour after 15 minutes to prepare the dish. Mac and cheese pictures and video guide with the recipe.