Twice Baked Potato with Feta & Bacon
A hearty main or side dish
Feta and bacon go together like Laurel & Hardy or Fred & Ginger - a match made in pure heaven!
This is a super easy and quick recipe for a twice baked potato with feta cheese and bacon. Serve as a main dish for lunch with a side salad or use smaller potatoes as a side dish for a BBQ or with Steak. It's just delicious!
You need good quality bacon, smoked or unsmoked, whichever you prefer. Make sure your potatoes are fresh and firm.
This recipe is a little high in calories and fat content so to make it easier on the cholesterol level try using low fat substitutions. I have made the full fat version here but there are tips below on how to make it a skinnier dish.
Preparation 20 mins
Cooking time approx 1 hour 30 mins (depending on the size of your potatoes)
4 Large Baking Potatoes (for main course) or 6/8 small/medium potatoes (side dish)
1 packet (300g) back bacon
1 packet (200g) feta cheese
1 teaspoon Oregano
Light Olive oil and salt to run on the potato skins
1. Pre heat the oven to 190°C
2. Wash you potatoes and prick the skin with a sharp knife twice to prevent any potato explosions in the oven. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and rub with a light olive oil and salt. Bake for around an hour, adjust the cooking time according to the size of your potatoes.
TIP: If you are short on time you can part cook the potatoes in the microwave first, just make sure you weigh them and set your microwave to the correct time and weight setting less one quarter of the weight (thus reducing microwave cooking time) so you don't nuke them and the oven still has some work to do. Then rub with oil and salt and pop into the oven until the skins are brown and crispy. It is better to cook from raw in the oven as it will ensure that the skins keep their shape when you scoop out the contents.
SKINNY TIP: Rubbing with oil and salt helps the skin to crisp and adds flavour, however if you want to do the skinny version leave out the oil and salt but don't use a microwave to pre cook them, bake in the oven from the very start to get a tasty crispy skin.
TIP: In these twice bake potato recipes a strong crispy skin is essential to keep the mixture in place when filling and baking for the second time, too long in the microwave makes the skin loose and it doesn't crisp up too well regardless of how much oil you use.
3. Whilst the potatoes are baking, chop the bacon into 1 cm pieces and discard any large pieces of fat. Fry the bacon until crispy in a non stick frying pan.
TIP: Use a non stick pan and the fat from the bacon will provide the oil for cooking. Drain the excess fat when cooked.
SKINNY TIP: For a skinny version use extra trimmed low fat back bacon instead.
4. Combine the crispy bacon and crumbled feta in a large bowl and add the oregano and a little black pepper.
SKINNY TIP: You can get very good low fat feta cheese from supermarkets these days. You may have to season them a little more than their full fat cousins though so add seasoning and herbs by taste once you've added the bacon.
5. When the potatoes are baked, slice off the top of the potato and scoop the cooked contents into the bowl with the bacon and feta. Be careful to keep the potato skins in tact.
TIP: If your cooked potato mixture appears to be a little dry, add a knob of butter, or low fat equivalent, and this will help the potato regain a creamy smooth texture.
6. Mix the bacon, feta and potato together whilst it's still hot and then re-fill the potato skins. There will be more mixture than skin but don't worry just keep piling it on and use your fingers to compact the mixture that has overflowed.
7. Place the top back on the filled potato skins and put back into the oven for around 20 minutes or until crispy brown.
8. Serve with a fresh salad of your choice.
SKINNY TIP: Load up on salad (with a low fat dressing of course) and have a slightly smaller twice baked potato - who said you have to miss out on the good stuff when you're on a diet?
Try my recipe and let me know what you think!
© 2012 mooboomoo