- Food and Cooking
Undhiyu Recipe, A Special Gujarati Winter Delicacy
A Gujarati eagerly waits for winter to gorge on Undhiyu and so do his friends! Unidhyu is a traditional dish of Gujarat, yes the place were current PM of India belongs to. It's a winter special delicacy as all it's ingredients are easily available and they keep your body warm. It's a slow cooked dish made with eggplant, crunchy muthiyas, potatoes, yam, raw banana, green peas, beans and spices. During winters a Gujju home cooks this yummy treat at least 4 times a month. The recipe may look complex (to be honest I have never made this single-handedly, I always play mom's assistant chef when it comes to Undhiyu) but if you read it through a few times and have someone who can be your co-chef the first time you make it.
How Undhiyu Got its name
Undhiyu comes from Gujarati word- undhu- which means upside down. In earlier days the Gujarati farmers used to cook this dish in an earthen pot buy burying it in the ground and set the fire from above to cook it. Hence, the name Undhiyu.
- 750gm Surati Papdi
- 250gm Lilva dana, Known as fresh pigeon peas in English
- 100gm Green peas
- 250gm Tuver dana
- 200gm Baby eggplant
- 400gm Baby potato
- 400gm Purple yam
- 250gm Sweet potato
- 4 Rajgiri bananas
- 30ml Oil
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- A Pinch Soda bi carb
- 2 tsp Ajwain
- 2 tsp Dhania Jeera powder
- 1 cup Wheat Flour, For Muthiya
- 3 tsp Besan (Gram flour), For Muthiya
- 1 tbsp Oil, For Muthiya
- 1 tsp Ginger, Green Chilly, For Muthiya
- 3 tsp Fenugreek leaves crushed, For Muthiya
- 1 tsp Asafoetida, For Muthiya
- 1 tsp Turmeric, For Muthiya
- 1 pinch Soda bi carb, For Muthiya
- 3 Coconut grated, For Undhiyu Masala
- 2 tsp Green Chillies, For Undhiyu Masala
- 1 Ginger Pounded, For Undhiyu Masala
- 1 small bunch Green Garlic, For Undhiyu Masala
- 2 cups Coriander chopped, For Undhiyu Masala
- 3 tsp Dhania Jeera Powder, For Undhiyu Masala
- 3 tsp Sugar, For Undhiyu Masala
- 1/4 tsp Asafeotida, For Undhiyu Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric, For Undhiyu Masala
- To Taste Salt, For Undhiyu Masala
- Mix all the ingredients of Muthiya in a smooth and soft dough. Add a little buttermilk or water to bind if needed. Now make small round balls of this dough and deep fry them. Keep them aside
- In a dish mix all the Undhiyu masala ingredients. Mix them well and adjust some spices as per your taste.
- Cut potatoes and eggplants into segments, ensuring they are not detached from the base. Fill the Undhiyu masala in the segments tightly without breaking the eggplant and potato. Keep it aside.
- Take a thick and broad vessel. Heat oil and add some mustard seeds bringing it them to crackle. Add Surati Papdi pods, lilva and tuver dana. Add a pinch of soda bi carb. Mix for a minute. Now add salt, ajwain, ginger, green chillies crushed,, dhania jeera powder, half the green garlic and half of remainder of Undhiyu masala.
- Now arrange stuffed eggplant and potatoes followeed by diced purple yam, sweet potatoes, baby eggplant, baby potatoes and green peas around the simmering papdi.
- Add remaining Undhiyu masala. Cover the sabzi for about 10 minutes with a dish that has about half a glass water in it. This helps the Undhiyu to be cooked from below and above.
- Do not stir the veggies rigorously. Cook on slow fire.
- Now add diced bananas, some dhania jeera powder and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add fried Fenugreek muthiyas. Cook for few more minutes. Serve Hot.
Health Benefits of Undhiyu
Having multiple vegetables baked together, it's a nutritious dish for sure. You can replace the regular oil with Olive oil, it give a nice subtle taste and adds to it's nutritional value.
Hope you do try this Undhiyu Recipe, once this winter and share your experience about it. Like I said earlier that it may seem like a task, but really is not! Buy all the fresh vegetables from your local market and if one or two ingredients are missing don't worry just reduce the masala proportion intuitively. Remember this recipe comes in 3 parts- muthiya, masala and cooking the vegetables correctly, of which the dicing of vegetables and making muthiyas will take most of cooking time, rest is no brainer.
Happy Cooking. :-)
- Rocking Bollywood Songs to Dance at an Indian Weddin...
Indian wedding if full of dance and songs with Gujarati Garba, Punjabi Bhangra, Marathi Lavani and so on with Bollywood tadka. Here is list of best dance wedding songs that will rock the stage.
- Homemade Kaju Katli recipe, a cashew nut barfi- Indi...
Kaju Katli recipe is easy to make t home and save that extra money you spend on getting it from an Indian mart. Making it at home is not only affordable but also way too super tasty.
- How is Rasgulla Dessert Made at Home- A Bengali Swee...
Recipe to bong sweet that has won heart all over the world- Rasgulla or Roosogulla as bongs call it!