The most basic and yet the most difficult to master. This is also a great recipe to start with if you want to branch off of the recipe and try new variations. Eat them with or without frosting!
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Eggs, Large
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 18 baking cups in muffin pans.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into the cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before transferring the vanilla cupcakes onto a wire rack.
- Some professional bakers claim that beating flour too much will result in a dense cake. To avoid this sift the flour first and don't beat the flour into the mix, fold it into the batter at the end.
- Make sure not to fill the baking cups too full, a good rule of thumb is 2/3 full.