How to Make Vegetable Momos
Momos Are Popular Snacks All Over The World
Momos are the steamed dumplings originated in China. This yummy snack is now popular in the entire world. They are very nutritious.
The health benefits of momos is due to its veggie stuffing. Herbs like ginger and garlic give a special flavor to this snack. It is a dish liked by all, irrespective of their age.
Making momos takes quite some time. But, once you make the wrap and the stuffing, it is easy to make the dumplings. Whatever pain you take in making them is worth while if you look at the health benefits and the taste of this snack.
Here, I share a detailed recipe for making vegetarian momos for you.
Home-Made Vegetarian Momos With Tomato Dip
Ingredients for the Momos
- 1 cup all purpose flour / maida
- 1/2 tsp cooking oil, for the dough
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, for the stuffing
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 2 cups vegetables, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped (I used chopped onion)
- 1.5 tsp soy sause
- 1 tsp ginger & garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper, powder
- salt, as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Vegetable Momos
- To start with, make a dough. For that, dry mix all purpose flour, oil, and salt.
- Knead the mix, adding water little by little. Prepare a firm dough.
- Cover it with a moist cloth. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Next, you have to make a momos stuffing.
- For that, heat oil in a pan. Saute chopped onion or spring onion whites and ginger garlic paste.
- Continue sauteing till the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped vegetables. Stir fry in medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper powder. Throw in chopped spring onion greens (I didn't use because I was not having it). Mix well. Cook for one more minute.
- Finally, add soy sauce. Stir-cook for a few seconds. Switch off the stove.
- Stuffing is ready now. Spread it on a plate for cooling.
- Divide the dough in 18-20 equal parts. Give each part a ball shape.
- Roll these balls to round shapes of 2 1/2 inch diameter.
- Next, place a spoon full of the stuffing in the center.
- Start folding the edges like pleats. Seal the tip while touching water on your fingers.
- This way, make all the momos. Next, you have to steam-cook them.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a steamer.
- Grease the perforated plate with oil. Place it inside the steamer.
- Arrange momos on the plate, keeping a little gap from one another.
- Steam for 6 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, don't use the weight. Turn off the heat. They are done!
- Transfer the momos to a serving bowl. Enjoy eating hot momos with schezwan sauce or any other sauce or dip. Enjoy the combo!
Some Important Tips for Cooking Momos Right
Steam the momos for 6 minutes only. Increasing the cooking time may dry up the momos.
Once momos are done, they look shiny. This is the indication to stop cooking further.
Nutritional Information of Vegetable Momos
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 50 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|