- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan Black Eyed Peas-Savoury and Delicious
Monsieur Doughboy's Black Eyed Peas
Black eyed peas are very nutritious and filling. They are part of the bean family, a legume. The black eyed pea is thought to have been originally grown in Africa and brought to America and other areas of the world in the 17th century.
Black eyed peas are soul food, used in rich, meat and fat laden recipes. But they are very nutritious when cooked without added fats. They are rich in calcium, potassium, zinc, folate, and vitamin A.
Black eyed peas are delicious as well as nutritious. They can be made into a paste and fried or eaten in a soup base like any other bean. Any way they are cooked, black eyed peas add a wonderful flavor to the menu.
This is my spoon!
Nutritious Vegan Ingredients
- 1 bag-16 ounces Black Eyed Peas
- 1-3 Tomatoes, depending on size
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach
- 4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 med Onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Look through peas and remove any small stones or debris, wash thoroughly. Place in cooking pot with lots of water. (Some will boil away)
- Chop tomatoes, garlic and onions. Add to pot.
- Salt to taste, cover and simmer one hour.
- Slice vegan kielbasa into desired size, add to pot.
- Add spinach to pot.
- Simmer 20 minutes and enjoy!
- Add your favorite seasonings such as rosemary, thyme and basil
- To increase nutritional value add chopped carrots, celery or bell pepper.
- Use Tofurky Italian Sausage for a spicy kick.
- Carnivores can add meat kielbasa.
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
A Beautiful Dish!
© All Rights Reserved-Brenda Barnes