Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Brownies from the Surf Lodge
Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Brownies
A Naughty but Nice Treat
Devilishly delicious, these Vegan Brownies are perfect for entertaining large groups, family get-togethers, and even just a night in front of the TV.
Rich and packed with sweetness, you don't need much to get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside. But these brownies aren't all bad... the base ingredient is avocado, which gives the creamy consistency of butter, but without the dairy factor, and provides a source of natural, healthy fat.
Dairy & Soy Free
Discovering the Ultimate Vegan Brownies
During the summer, I was lucky enough to work alongside a professional, experienced chef, assisting him in serving dinner to groups of around 10-20 guests at a Surf Lodge in Southern France. One of the main roles I adopted was preparing the desserts, and with a range of dietary requirements from the guests, I learnt to provide yummy sweets that were suitable for everyone. The Vegan Chocolate Brownies were, by far, the favourite among the groups we catered for.
I first experienced avocado baking from a couple of lactose-intolerant friends in New Zealand, who swear by it, and with a bit of research and practise, these brownies were developed, satisfying hungry surfers through the season. The best thing about these beauties, is that nobody even suspects that they contain no butter or dairy products!
Vegan Brownie Ingredients
- 1 Avocado
- 120ml Olive Oil
- 240g Plain Flour
- 120g Cocoa Powder
- 330g Caster Sugar
- 325ml Water
- 200g Dark Chocolate, (broken into bite-size chunks)
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp White Vinegar
- Margarine, (for greasing the tin)
- You will need: A large mixing bowl, a medium sized baking tin (greased with dairy free margarine), and your hands!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut in half the avocado, removing the stone, and scoop all the flesh into your mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and mash together until pulverised
- Sieve in the flour, add the sugar, cocoa powder, salt and vinegar, and mix into a dough with your hands
- Add the water, half at a time, mixing until liquid and creamy, and stir in the chunks of dark chocolate
- Pour the mixture into your baking tin, and cook for around 20 minutes, or until the top is firm to touch. For more baked brownies, cook for an extra 5 minutes.
Vegan Brownies Served Warm with Vanilla Sauce
Serving Your Vegan Brownies
These brownies are delicious fresh out of the oven; warm and gooey with little surprises of pure melted chocolate inside. You can serve them with vanilla custard, cream or ice cream for the ultimate pudding. They are also great the next day, when the chocolate chunks have hardened, giving them a tantalising, chocolaty bite.
Sit down, relax and enjoy!