- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegetarian Spiced Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Spicy Carrot Salsa
Here’s a great recipe for a vegetarian spiced sweet potato and mixed sauteed veg’ quesadilla with spicy carrot salsa.
Spiced sweet potato and mixed sautéed veg’ quesadilla
- 1 and 1/2 lbs of cooked sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp dried red chili powder
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- About ½ pound of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 flour tortillas
- About 2 Tbls of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 2 or 3 fresh hot chili peppers – I use Thai bird chilies here
- ½ a medium cooking onion, finely minced
- A little fresh orange juice
- First make the carrot ‘salsa’ that will accompany these. Grate a single medium carrot quite finely into a bowl. Add in the ½ onion that you’ve minced and the 2 or 3 spicy fresh chilies, and then add in just enough unsweetened orange juice to moisten the mixture, a ¼ cup or so – but not so much as to make a soupy mess. Season with salt to taste
- To make the quesadilla filling - heat a large heavy frying pan over medium, and when hot, add in the chopped onion. Cook, stirring often for about 3 or 4 minutes, and then add in the carrots and continue cooking until the onions are very soft and the carrots have softened somewhat.
- Add in the garlic, the cumin, the chili powder and the cinnamon and continue to cook, stirring, for about 2 more minutes. Watch the garlic carefully as you do this, and if you see it burning get the sweet potatoes in right quickly, to arrest the burning.
- After a couple of minutes add in the sweet potatoes and the cream and cook, mashing the sweet potatoes a little, for a couple of minutes, or until the whole mixture is hot and everything is evenly incorporated throughout the potatoes.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste - and taste also for other seasonings, adding more chili, cumin or cinnamon if needed.
- Divide this filling between your 8 flour tortillas and over the filling divide your grated cheese between the tortillas. Fold the tortillas in half over the filling and then cook on a dry frying pan or griddle (no oil) heated to medium until the quesadillas are golden brown on both sides (Flip them over once) and the cheese inside is melted.
- Serve with the carrot salsa on the side (it’s nice in a little bowl on the side of the plate)
A delicious and somewhat different vegetarian meal.
- Alternatives to Soy: Proteins for Vegetarians
You're a vegetarian (or maybe even a vegan) and you're concerned about getting enough protein in your diet. Perhaps you've been using soy products for years to get the protein you need, but you're looking...
- Vegetarian Burgers Index and Overview to 32 Vegeta...
Vegetarian burgers recipe summaries. Links to 32 recipes with ingredient summaries and comments. All different. None with texturized vegetable protein.
- Grilled chicken quesadilla recipe. The classic Tex M...
Firstly, let me qualify this recipeit is not an authentic Mexican recipe, more a north of the border classic; but it's very tasty, very quick, and always pleases everyone at the tablewhat's...