- Food and Cooking
Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy
Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
Biscuits and gravy are a favorite breakfast choice for many, and there is no reason vegetarians should have to miss out. After I became a vegetarian, I realized I needed to find a way to make this delicious breakfast food without using animal fats. Luckily, it was easy to do.
This is an easy recipe that uses a few staple ingredients that are all vegetarian friendly. I was unsure what to expect the first time I made this, but to my delight, I could not tell the difference. My husband is a meat-eater and he enjoys this recipe as well.
With a couple modifications, this can be a vegan friendly recipe. See notes under the recipe to see how.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- Melt butter in a large pan. Stir in flour until combined.
- Slowly add milk while continuously stirring. Mixture will become thick and slightly clumpy. Continue to slowly add milk while stirring, and the mixture will become smooth.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Heat until thickened.
- Serve over biscuits.
- If desired, cook a vegetarian or vegan sausage and add to the gravy before serving over biscuits
- I love this as is, but if desired, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage or ground thyme. Either choice will add depth to the flavor
- For a vegan biscuits and gravy, use canola oil in place of butter and use a non-dairy milk