Vegetarian Chinese dumplings - jiaozi
Jiaozi are really easy to make! The dough can be as simple as flour and water. I will put some measurements later in the recipe but you do not really need them. You just add enough water to form a dough, erring on the side of dry rather than sticky. Then you knead the dough for at least ten minutes and amazingly, as you do, you will feel the texture change and become more pliable.
Here are some I made earlier!
Ingredients for the dough and filling
- 125ml/4fl oz water
- 140g/5oz plain flour
- mixed herbs
- Filling Can be anything!
- Any vegetables that you have! Honestly, but you have to process/chop them
- The main work is the dough. Put the flour in a large bowl, add some baking powder and salt and gradually add water until the dough binds together. Get your hands in there and work the dough to reduce the amount of water you use.
- When the dough is in a ball, lightly dust a board and knead the ball as if you were making bread. Keep going for at least ten minutes. After that roll the dough into a long sausage and cut into small sections.
- Let the dough rest whilst you prepare the filling. Take any vegetables you have and either process them or chop them really small. Lightly saute them in sesame oil with some soy sauce and Chinese rice wine. I add lots of chilli but that is up to you! Let the filling cool.
- When the filling is cool, start taking the small sections of dough, roll one into a ball and roll out into a really thin circle. Place a dollop of filling in the centre.
- Using a pastry brush, wet the edge of the circle and fold. Press the edges together and either seal with the tines of a fork or pleat the edges. The main idea here is to seal the dumpling so that it does not come apart when you boil it.
- When you have finished making your dumplings, set a pan of water to boil. When it is boiling gently spoon in a batch of dumplings. Let them boil for about ten minutes. Take them out into a sieve to drain and serve with a dipping suace of soy sauce and a little vinegar. Very tasty!