Vegetarian Comfort Food - Homemade Potato, Onion and Garlic Soup
Homemade Soup - The Ultimate in Comfort Food
As a vegetarian for over 20 years I am often asked questions such as "What do you eat?" and "Don't you miss comfort food?"
For me, homemade vegetarian soups are the ultimate in comfort food. Thick and nutritious, served piping hot with a crusty bread roll - who could want more?
Vegetarian soups are quick and easy to make and best of all unbelievably cheap too!
Having just polished off yet another pot of potato, onion and garlic soup, here is my favourite vegetarian soup recipe.
The Ultimate Versatile Comfort Food - Potatoes!
Potato, Onion and Garlic Vegetarian Soup Recipe
- 1lb potatoes - the type that soften easily e.g. King Edwards
- 1/2lb onions
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1.5 pints vegetable stock
- Nob of butter or alternatively use olive oil for vegans
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons of milk or single cream (optional for vegans)
Serves 3-4 (or one for two days if it's me eating!)
- Finely chop the onions and add to the pan with the butter or oil on a low heat
- Finely chop or crush the garlic cloves and add to the onion
- Dice the potatoes (I prefer leaving the peel on, but peel them first if you prefer) and add to the onions in the pan
- Stir to cover all the potatoes and onions in butter or oil, then put on the lid and leave to sweat down on a low heat for 10 mins
- Add the vegetable stock and stir through.
- Leave to cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are very soft.
- Allow to cool slightly then blend the soup. For a more chunky soup I prefer to hand mash. You can also sieve the soup if you have no blender.
- Add the milk or cream if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm through, serve hot and enjoy!
For a better "comfort food" factor sprinkle with grated vegetarian cheese before serving!
More Vegetarian Recipe Ideas
An essential cookbook for vegans or vegetarians with simple easy to create recipes. No fuss great tasting meals even meat eaters will enjoy.