Vegetarian Eggplant Parmigiana
This is my favorite vegetarian dish. As a former carnivore, this dish is so delicious that I actually prefer it over the popular poultry version.
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 medium size eggplant, (sliced)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or Italian blend cheese
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. SUPPLIES: You will need: Gallon-size freezer bag (to marinate eggplant slices) Cookie sheet / Parchment paper (optional) to bake eggplant slices Covered baking dish to bake your eggplant parmigiana 3 Bowls for layering your eggplant parmigiana 1 Bowl for egg/sauce marinate
- Slice eggplant into rounds (your desired thickness). Place sliced eggplant in a gallon size freezer bag In a bowl beat egg and Worcestershire sauce together and pour it into the bag with the sliced eggplant. Shake bag to distribute the egg mixture. Allow eggplant to marinate for at least 2 hours. Overnight is even better.
- Get three bowls. Pour bread crumbs and seasoning into the first bowl. Mix well. Pour diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1 tbsp. of Italian spices into the second bowl. Mix well. Cover and set aside Pour cheese into the third bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Coat eggplant slices on both sides with bread crumb mixture. Place slices on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes on each side or until bread crumbs turn light brown. Remove eggplant from oven. Cool for 10 minutes.
- BEGIN LAYERING: Alternate layering: sauce, eggplant, cheese - ending with cheese on top. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes with lid on at 350 degrees. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8 people.