Vegetarian Main Courses - Cheese, Onion and Potato Bake
Cheese, onion and potato bake is a simple, cheap and tasty vegetarian main course. It is a great standby when you don't have many ingredients in the house, is easy and quick to prepare and makes a lovely warming and filling meal.
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3/4 pint cheese sauce (see link below for cheese sauce recipe)
- an extra handful of grated cheese
- 1 oz butter
- Fresh herbs (or dried herbs) and seasoning according to taste
- Peel and slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes until just cooked.
- Chop some fresh herbs - thyme and parsley work well in this dish
- Roughly chop the onions, and sauté in the butter with the chopped herbs until soft and just turning golden brown.
- Warm up or make the cheese sauce (link to my recipe below)
- Once everything is cooked place the onions, potatoes and cheese sauce in alternating layers in a large ovenproof dish, finishing with a topping of cheese sauce
- Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese and some fresh parsley on top, then bake in a hot oven for about 20 minutes, until the cheese has gone golden brown on top.
Best served with a helping of freshly steamed green vegetables or peas for a nourishing and hearty meal.
- How to make cheese sauce - a step by step recipe
A simple step-by-step guide for making home-made cheese sauce. Delicious and versatile, this sauce can be made in larger quantities and frozen for later use.
© 2012 Imogen French