Lasagna is a fantastic comfort food and perfect for cooking in large batches to feed the whole family or to freeze for a quick, home cooked meal any time. This veggie lasagna uses no-boil noodles which are awesome! No extra cooking time and no worries about breaking the noodles.
While this is a vegetarian recipe, it is easily adapted if you want to add meat. Just add 1/2 pound of cooked ground beef or sausage with the squash and zucchini. And feel free to substitute your favorite veggie instead of the ones I used!
- 1 Large Onion
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 4 to 6 Large Basil Leaves
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Cup Broccoli, fresh or frozen
- 3 Four Inch Sprigs of Oregano
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Table Spoons Olive Oil
- 1 Package No Boil Lasagna Noodles
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 1/2 Jars Pasta Sauce, or 1 jar and a can of diced, seasoned tomatoes
- Dice or chop all veggies and herbs to desired size. I usually dice them up pretty small so big chunks don't fall out when you take a bite!
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, basil, and oregano and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add broccoli, squash, red bell pepper, and zucchini to skillet. Lower temperature to medium low and stir occasionally. Cook until tender but not falling apart. Keep in mind they will cook in the oven, too!
- While your veggies are cooking you can make the cheese mix. Beat 2 eggs in large bowl for 1 minute. Add all the ricotta cheese, all the Parmesan, and half of the mozzarella cheese (2 cups). Continue stirring until well mixed.
- Pour 1/3 cup of pasta sauce into a deep 12 inch baking pan and lay 4 or 5 noodles. Make sure they over lap and don't worry if they don't reach the sides of the pan. The noodles will expand while cooking.
- Spread 1/3 cheese mixture on top of noodles, then 1/3 of veggie and herb mixture. Top with 1/2 cup of sauce. Repeat this step 3 times to create 3 layers.
- Once you have created all three layers, add 4 noodles to the top and pour remaining sauce over the entire pan. Make sure the top noodles in particular are well covered in sauce, other wise they will dry out.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- Cover with foil and bake 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes