Ultimate Queso Recipe | Velveeta Queso
This is hardly the first Velveeta queso recipe out there, in fact the plain old Velveeta and RoTel combo can be found on some Velveeta boxes but I wanted to offer some solutions on how to jazz it up a notch. I make this queso for football games, parties, pot lucks, you name it ... and it's always a hit. If you've never tried it you'll be surprised at how addictive it is with chips. I've seen this recipe suggested with green onion but i much prefer regular onion in mine. I've also seen it suggested to use 1 can RoTel to 1 32oz (the 2lb large brick) of Velveeta. I very much prefer to use 1 can RoTel to half a large brick, or 1lb Velveeta.
- 16 oz (1lb = HALF a large block) Velveeta, Cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilis
- 1 TBSP Onion, Finely diced
- 1-2 TBSP Cilantro, Chopped
NFL Team T-Shirts
If the dip turns out too thick just add some milk and reheat to incorporate and thin it out.
Want to turn it up another notch? Add some shredded sharp cheddar to the mix ... usually about 1/3 cup will do or more if you like. This will thicken the mixture so you may need to thin it a bit with milk.
- If using a large 32oz (2lb) block of Velveeta, cut the block in half and save the other half for making another batch some other time (wrapping tightly in plastic wrap works well). If you want to make a large batch and use the entire block just double the remaining ingredients.
- Cut the block of Velveeta in 1/2 inch cubes and add to a large microwave safe bowl.
- Cut a small amount of onion off and dice extremely fine until you have about 1 tablespoon of onion. You don't need too much, usually just a couple of sliced rings off the onion will yield enough once chopped. The consistency should be about that of couscous once chopped.
- Take about 15-20 fresh cilantro leaves and chop fine until you have a good tablespoon. You can use more to taste if you like.
- Add onion, chopped cilantro, and can of RoTel (with juices) on top of the cubed Velveeta.
- Microwave the bowl with its ingredients in increments of about 60 to 90 seconds stopping to stir the mix thoroughly each time. Keep an eye on bowl while it's in the microwave so that it doesn't bubble over. Usually after about 3-4 minutes (with 2 stirring breaks) it should be well melted and incorporated.
- Serve with chips and enjoy!