Venison Lasagna with Homemade Sauce
Hearty, Delicious Venison Lasagna
"Mom, it smells like sausages. Um, speaking of sausages, I don't like sausages." Emma, age 5.
Now I have to disagree with my daughter here. I like sausages, I do...but not in my tomato-based recipes. So the only meat in this lasagna is ground venison. I don't think that's very Italian of me, but I'm not very Italian anyway, so for me this lasagna is just perfect. If you want to add sausage you could add 1 pound and double the sauce recipe.
The result is a savory home-style lasagna that melts in your mouth: the tomatoes, spices, and cheeses fusing together into one delicious mouth-watering dinner dish. Like in all my venison recipes, a sprinkle of cumin takes care of "gamey" flavor from the meat. Cooking the meat with onion and garlic further compliments the overall profile of this venison lasagna with homemade sauce. Be aware ladies - this is one dish you'll actually want to send your husband hunting for!
Making Lasagna - The Slideshow
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground venison
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 28 oz tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 12 to 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt, for sauce, can use less if desired
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 16 oz package lasagna noodles, once cooked, you'll need 12 usable noodles
- 30 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (divided) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- + another 2 tsp dried parsley, for cheese mixture
- + another 1/4 tsp salt, for cheese mixture
- + another 1/4 tsp black pepper, for cheese mixture
- 1 egg
Make It, Then Rate It!
- In a skillet, break up ground venison and sprinkle with cumin. Cook with onion and garlic.
- Meanwhile in a sauce pot, mix diced tomato, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar, basil, oregano, 2 tsp parsley, 1 Tbsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Add cooked meat to sauce pot. Let simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles in 4 quarts boiling water for 9 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Just before sauce is done, beat egg in mixing bowl. Add to egg ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, parmesan, 2 tsp parsley, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Once the sauce, noodles, and cheese mixture are ready, layer the lasagna like this: Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish. Spread 1 cup cooked sauce over bottom of pan. Lay 3 noodles across sauce. Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture over noodles. Spread 1 1/2 cups sauce over cheese. Repeat layering, ending with a row of noodles on top. Cover these noodles with remaining sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with foil (try to keep it away from the lasagna and off the cheese). Bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 mintues.
- Remove lasagna and let sit for 15 mintues. Cut into squares to serve.
Now That's One Luscious Looking Lasagna!
And if the aroma in your kitchen doesn't have your stomach growling yet...well, who am I kidding. It does. Enjoy with rolls or breadsticks and a side salad.
Plan an afternoon preparing Venison Lasagna with Homemade Sauce, and treat your family and yourself to one appetizing, gratifying dinner, destined to become legendary in your own home!