Vermicilli Upma or Semiya Upma Recipe
About Vermicilli upma or semiya upma
Upma is a type of breakfast which is made with tempering ingredients. Other types of upma includes rava upma, sabudana upma, oats upma, millets upma etc.
Though vermicilli is mostly used for making kheer, many other dishes can be prepared like upma, pulao, khichdi etc.
Vermicilli upma is a simple, easy, quick and delicious dish with some basic tempering ingredients and vegetables. One of the most delicious and fulfilling dish with no time. Also light on stomach.
Only following some simple steps will make perfect, non sticky and tasty upma. With slight variation in the recipe this dish can be easily extended to other dishes like pulao, bath etc.
Adding vegetables increases the taste and nutritious values of the dish.
Vermicilli is known as shyavige in kannada, seviyan in hindi.
This can even used as lunch box recipe.
- 1 cup vermicilli, unroasted
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A handful of curry leaves
- 1-2 green chilies, sliced or chopped
- Salt according to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 5-10 almonds, roasted
- 5-10 cashews, roasted
- 5-10 peanuts, roasted
- 1.25 cups water
How to prepare
- Dry roast vermicilli on a medium flame till slightly golden in color. It may take around 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring while frying. Transfer this roasted vermicilli to a plate and keep aside. ( Skip this step if you are using roasted vermicilli).
- Heat oil in the same pan, add mustard seeds, let them crackle, then add chilies, curry leaves, saute, add onions and fry till translucent.
- Now add all the vegetables, saute well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, mix properly.
- Add water. Close the lid and bring it to boil.
- Now add roasted vermicilli, mix well. Cover and let it cook in medium flame till vermicilli is cooked and the water evaporates completely.
- Cover the pan and set aside for 2-3 minutes. It helps to make upma fluffy.
- Meanwhile, in a pan heat ghee or oil, roast almonds, cashews and peanuts.
- Add roasted nuts on the top of vermicilli upma. Serve hot.
- You can serve this upma with chutney, pickle or as it is. Tastes best when hot or warm.
More about the recipe
- I have used MTR sooji vermicilli in this recipe. You can use any vermicilli of your choice. (Different types of vermicilli are available like suji, rice, wheat, maida, roasted, unroasted etc).
- I have used unroasted vermicilli in this recipe. If you are using roasted vermiclli, then skip roasting vermicilli step.
- If you are using unroasted vermicilli, roast them properly. If not roasted well, upma turns sticky.
- I have added vegetables in this upma, you can skip it altogether.
- Fresh or frozen vegetables can be used in this recipe.
- Adding more water will makes upma soggy.
- You can sprinkle grated coconut and squeeze lemon juice which is optional.
- You can skip adding turmeric powder which gives you white colored upma.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 107 g||36%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Sodium 880 mg||37%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|