Vietnamese Sausage Recipe (Gio Lua/Cha Lua)
Gio lua or cha lua is Vietnamese sausage. The smooth and silky sausage is eaten with rice, sticky rice, banh mi or enjoyed with noodles and pickles. Traditionally, cha lua is wrapped in banana leaf and made of pork. The log shape meat paste is boiled.
Here is how to make cha lua at home. You can use ground either chicken or beef to make a tasty Vietnamese sausage or ham. You need to wrap the meat paste in the banana leaves super tight to prevent the water leak during boiling process. I prefer steaming method than boiling. It's a leak-proof method.
In order to achieve smooth and ham-like texture, we will need to grind the meat several times or ask your butcher to grind it at least two times. If the ground meat texture still too fibrous, we need to grind it in a food processor. You can use a large-capacity food processor to grind the meat at once or working in batch if using smaller capacity food processor.
What You Need
2 lbs ground pork
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp corn oil
How to Make
- Grind the ground pork in a food processor until smooth and stiff. Repeat this process 3 to 4 times or until a very smooth paste is formed. Add baking powder, fish sauce, salt, sugar, oil and tapioca powder. Pulse the machine to combine all of the seasoning.
- Wrap the meat paste up in banana leaves or aluminum foil. Shape and roll the paste to form a cylinder with about 3 inches in diameter. Then steam the sausage for about 30 minutes or alternatively you can boil it for about 40 minutes or until they float.
- Transfer the cooked sausage to a colander and let cool completely before serving.
More Vietnamese Recipe
- Vietnamese Cashew Chicken (Ga Xao Hot Dieu) Recipe
How to make a healthy cashew chicken dish. A Vietnamese stir-fry dish.
- Vietnamese Vegetarian Curry Recipe (Ca Ri Chay)
- Vietnamese Shrimp And Sweet Potato Fritters Recipe (Banh Tom)
- Vietnamese Tomato Egg Drop Recipe (Canh Ca Chua Trung)
- Vietnamese Beef Rice Noodle Soup (Pho Bo) Recipe
- Vietnamese Stuffed Squid Recipe (Muc Nhoi Thit) Recipe