Vietnamese BBQ Pork Noodle Soup (Mi Xa Xiu) Recipe
Mi is Vietnamese word for noodle. Mi Xa Xiu literally means noodle soup with Chinese style BBQ pork (Xa Xiu). This is a soupy dish with Chinese egg noodle as the main ingredient. Throughout Vietnam, noodle soup is served as breakfast, lunch, dinner, late supper, even as snack between meals.
Here is how to make mi xa xiu at home. If fresh Chinese egg noodle is not available, you can use dried one. If you like to get more fibre, add some blanched bok choy, choy sum or lettuce. The ingredients are simple and easy to find. Fixing mi xa xiu is a great way to use up leftover BBQ pork (thit xa xiu).
Unlike Westerner, Asian love to put good amout of noodle in their noodle soup, thus this dish is quite filling,
This is a good cold-weather dish. Who can resist a piping hot bowl of noodle soup during cold weather ?.
What You Need
1 1/2 lbs BBQ pork (thinly sliced)
2 lbs Chinese egg noodle (fresh)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
10 cups water
1 piece of ginger (1-inch)
2 lbs pork bones
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced
ground black pepper
Chinese black vinegar
10 cilantro sprigs, chopped
How to Make
- Place pork bones and water in a large stock pot. Cover and bring to a boil. When its reaching boiling point, drain the bones and discard the water. Put another 10 cups of water in the pot and bring to boil. Skim off some floating foam. Add ginger, salt, sugar, oyster sauce and onion. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, fill some water (about 2/3 full) and bring to a boil. Drop cooking oil and egg noodles. Cook the noodles for about 1 minute or until soft but still maintain its chewiness (al dente). Remove noodles from saucepan and drain it into a colander. Repeat the same procedure with the rest of noodles. Rinse noodle with cold water to stop cooking process. Drain.
- Place egg noodles in a mixing bowl and add soy sauce. Toss well.
- Divide noodles into several portion and place them in soup bowls. Arrange thinly sliced BBQ pork on the top. Last, pour the hot stock to cover the bowl and sprinkle some cilantro and or spring onions to garnish. Enjoy with black vinegar or hot chili sauce.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Baked Hoisin Glazed Chicken Wing Recipe (Canh Ga Nuong Tuong)
Learn how to make Asian Chicken wing.
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
A low fat crab soup recipe.
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
How to make exotic fragrant grilled chicken.
- How To Make Vienamese Stuffed Tofu (Dau Hu Don Thit)
How to make Asian stuffed tofu dish with French twist.
- Easy and Tasty Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe (Goi Ga)
How to make low fat Vietnamese Chicken salad (goi ga)
- Easy and Quick Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Pho Ga)
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.