- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Vietnamese Glutinous Rice Balls with Black Sesame Seed Recipe
Vietnamese glutinous rice ball or "Chè trôi nước" is a traditional vietnamese dessert dish made from glutinous rice ball wrapped in bean paste. The balls are served in a thick and sweet brown liquid made from water, sugar and ginger.
- 400g Glutinous flour
- 100ml Water
- 1 Large piece ginger
- 100g Brown sugar
- 80g White sugar
- 200g Red beans
- 80g Lotus seed
- Mix water with flour until it is soft and smooth. Pour the water slowly and keep mixing until the flour forming to a dough. You should use warm water in this step (about 60°C/140°F).
- Divide the dough to small small rice balls.
- Soak the beans overnight. Rinse and dry the beans. In a pot, add red bean, lotus seed and water then bring it to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cook and stir until the bean soften. Mash it and add white sugar, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Flatten the rice balls and add in the bean paste. Wrap it up to a round ball shape.
- In a pot, add water and bring to boil. Add the rice balls to the the pot. When the rice balls float on surface of the water, take out and soak in cold water immediately.
- In a pot, add water, ginger and brown sugar. Boil until the sugar dissolve then reduce the heat to low.
- Add rice balls to the simmering ginger syrup pot. Cook at low heat until the syrup absorb into the rice balls.
- Place the rice balls and ginger syrup into a small bowl, sprinkle with some roasted sesame seed. Serve when still hot. Good luck in the kitchen!