- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Vietnamese Meatball Wraps (Nam Neung)
Here is an easy recipe for making Vietnamese style meatballs that are wrapped in rice paper and served with a generous platter of fresh herbs and vegetables for wrap customization.
There are a cinch to prepare and can be prepared in advance – making them perfect party fare. They are also a lot of fun (if a bit messy) to eat, which makes them a great family meal solution as well.
For The Meatballs
- 600 grams of ground pork
- ¼ cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsps of oyster sauce
- ¼ cup of corn starch
- 2 tsps of sugar
- 2 Tbls of sesame seeds
- Heat the oven to 375
- Mix the ingredients except for the sesame seeds together, kneading it well for a couple of minutes. This kneading changes the texture away from a loose burger like texture to a tighter and denser end result.
- Let this rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes – to as long as a few hours, to let the flavors permeate.
- Once rested, use you hands to pat-roll ¾ inch in diameter meat balls. Once you have finished rolling all the meatballs, sprinkle the sesame seeds over top.
- Bake these meatballs for about 15 minutes, or until just cooked through – the larger the meatball, the longer this will take.
- Serve these with a platter of mixed herbs and lettuces, some cooked vermicelli noodles, rice paper wraps, chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped chili, chopped cucumber, and chopped sour mango – and with the dipping sauce.
- To assemble, soak a little rice paper wrap in water, until it has softened and then lay this on a large leaf of lettuce. Top with a meatball, some noodles, and fresh herbs and other addition to taste. Spoon over a little dipping sauce, fold it all up and pop it into your mouth whole!
Fresh tasting, and very tasty! Thee wraps are fun to make and even more fun to eat.
- ¾ cup of white vinegar
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tsps of salt
- 1 Tbls of finely chopped Thai bird chilies
- 1 Tbls of finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup of finely shredded carrot
- 2 Tbls of chopped toasted peanuts on top
- Boil the vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and chilies together for about 5 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- Let it cool slightly and then add in the carrots. Sprinkle peanuts on top when ready to serve.
Or Try Thai!
- Thai banana fritter recipe
There's a reason pretty much every Thai restaurant offers fried banana fritters with vanilla ice cream (and it's only partly because of profit marginsha-ha) these easy fritters are seriously...
- Thai Curry Paste Recipes
These authentic recipes will teach you how to make Thai curry pastes from scratch. It might be a bit challenging to gather all the ingredients, but not that complicated or time consuming to make at all.
- Easy Thai fried rice. Surprising and delicious, the ...
Easy Thai fried rice recipe. Easy to follow directions for an authentic meal for one!
- How to Make Larb Moo. Spicy Thai Ground Pork Salad
A great quick and easy Isaan Larb recipe. Thailand's famous spicy pork salad.