Vietnamese Mung Bean Sticky Rice (Xoi Vo) Recipe
Undoubtedly, Xoi is one of the most popular food in Vietnam. Commonly, Xoi can be served at any time a day; breakfast, lunch, dinner or even as snack. But mostly, Vietnamese enjoy it as morning meal since it's cheap and filling. What is Xoi ?. Actually Xoi is Vietnamese term for dish made of sticky rice or sweet rice. It can be sweet (xoi ngot) or savory dish (xoi man). This rice dish is prepared by soaking glutinous rice overnight until the grains have absorbed enough liquid then drain and steam it in a steamer to produce soft and fluffy but not mashy grains.
There are countless variation to enjoy Xoi, from plain Xoi to Xoi with red bean, coconut, peanut, corn, egg, roasted chicken, lap xuong (Chinese sausage), meat floss, etc. One of our favorite Xoi is Xoi Vo or mung bean sticky rice. This variants of Xoi is made of glutinous rice and mung bean. Glutinous rice is the body of this simple dish but mung bean is the soul which yield extra special nutty texture and flavor. Also coconut milk add some creaminess to this street food. Vietnamese student also believe having xoi vo a day before taking test will produce high score result. The word of vo (mung bean) also mean "do" or "pass". Who knows ?
This dish is very easy to prepare, yet delicious, low in fat and of course it's very authentic and also exotic. Here is how to make Xoi Vo.
What You Need
2 cup glutinous rice
1 cup split and dehulled mung beans
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp coconut milk
How to Make
- In a pot, soak mung beans in warm water for at least 4 hours. Overnight is better.
- In another pot, soak glutinous rice in warm water for overnight.
- Drain mung beans in a colander and rinse it. Then drain thouroughly. Then steam mung bean in a steamer. When it's cooked, set aside to cool down. Then use masher to mash mung beans into thick paste.
- Rinse glutinous rice and drain thoroughly until dry. Then mix mung bean paste, salt and glutinous rice. Make sure its well combined.
- Line the steamer with cheesecloth. Place the rice mixture in a cheesecloth-lined steamer. Steam about 20 minutes or until the rice is done. You can see it will turn translucent. When done, add coconut milk and butter. Mix gently to separate the grain from lumping. Spread rice on a cookie sheet . Use a fork and try to fluff rice to separate the grains. Transfer to serving plate. Enjoy with your favorite toping, sauce or meat.
Learn How to Make Xoi Vo on Video
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Easy and Quick Vietnamese Fish Sour Soup Recipe (Canh Chua Ca)
- Easy and Tasty Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe (Cha Gio)
- Vietnamese Chicken Curry Recipe (Ca Ri Ga)
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Ground Beef Satay Recipe (Bo Nuong Xa). How to Make Tasty Vietnamese Style Sat
- Vietnamese Pickled Bean Sprout Salad Recipe (Dua Gia). How to Make Pickled Salad Vietnamese style!
- Vietnamese Jicama and Chinese Sausage Spring Rolls Recipe (Bo Bia)
- Vietnamese Beef Carpaccio Recipe (Bo Tai Chanh)
- Vietnamese Shrimp Fried Rice (Com Chien Tom) Recipe