- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Vietnamese Sweet Rice Dumplings In Ginger Syrup (Che Xoi Nuoc) Recipe
Sweet rice dumplings filled with savory mung beans paste, swim in warm ginger syrup, drizzled with savory coconut milk and topped with toasted sesame seeds. This is a warm sweet soup made of glutinous flour, mung beans, brown sugar, ginger and coconut milk.
Che xoi nuoc also known as che troi nuoc or banh troi tau. The English name for this palate cleanser can be vary from mochi dumpling sweet soup to mung bean balls sweet soup.
This dessert is best eaten warm since the dumpling tend to harden in cold temperature. Che xoi nuoc is quite similar with Chinese dessert, Tangyuan. Here is how to make che xoi nuoc.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 4
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup warm water
2 - 3 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup peeled split mung beans
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water
2 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp toasted sesame seed
How to Fix
- Soak peeled split mung beans in a bowl filled with water. Soak for at least 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, combine water, brown sugar and ginger. Bring it to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, onion and spring onions. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until the mixture is fragrant. Transfer to a dish.
- Rinse the mung beans and drain. Steam the mung beans until dry and fluffy. Then mix onion mixture, salt and steamed mung beans. Use a spatula or potato masher to smash it into a paste.
- Form the mung beans paste into small balls with 1 1/2 inch diameter. It will make about 12 balls.
- In a mixing bowl, put water and glutinous rice flour and knead until smooth. Divide the dough into 12 small balls.
- Place a dough on a flat surface and press it into a flat 2-inch-wide circle. Then put the mung beans ball filling into the center of the dough. Carefully wrap the filling in dough, forming a ball. Place rice dumplings on oiled baking sheet. Repeat the same procedure with remaining ingredients.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add one teaspoon of cooking oil. Then add rice dumplings and cook over medium heat. It will take about 10 minutes. They are cooked when it floats.
- Transfer the rice dumplings with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl. Pour the ginger syrup over the rice dumplings. Serve warm. If you like you can add coconut sauce (see recipe at Che Bap). Garnish with toasted sesame seed.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese BBQ Pork Noodle Soup (Mi Xa Xiu) Recipe
A simple noodle soup dish to beat the cold winter.
- Quick and Easy Vietnamese Carrot and Daikon Pickle Recipe (Do Chua)
How to make Vietnamese pickle.
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
A low fat crab soup recipe.
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
How to make exotic fragrant grilled chicken.