- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Watermelon Lemonade Cupcakes
Why Watermelon and Lemonade?
I love Bath and Body Works and they have a foamy soap called Watermelon Lemonade. It smells so nice on your hands and looks so pretty in the bottle that it inspired me to use that combination in other things.
In a previous hub titled Cool Drinks for Hot Days I posted Watermelon Lemonade, a fresh fruit summer drink and then I decided to make cupcakes. I found a number of recipes using the lemonade in the cupcake batter and watermelon in the frosting. I decided to do it different because I wanted it to be mine, so I did the cupcake with fresh watermelon juice and put the lemonade in the frosting.
My second granddaughter, Alexis loved this idea and so did my youngest granddaughter, Olivia, whom I used in other hubs. I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as my family did.
About These Cupcakes.
I never went to culinary school or baking school, nor did I ever do this professionally. I'm just a home cook. Someone who loves to cook, bake, collect and follow recipes and even make up some of my own.
So if my cupcakes and other bake goods don't look professional, that is why. But I go for taste. It would be nice to make them look prettier, but it doesn't bother anyone who eats them and that's what counts. So don't worry if your cupcakes or cakes or other baked goods don't look like they just came out of a magazine. You just keep baking and cooking and feed your loves ones. It's the taste that counts.
Watermelon Lemonade Cupcakes
Tip and Pictures Two of my Granddaughters Below
I used a yellow cake mix, but a white cake mix is just as good. In fact, it all depends on how you want the color to come out. The yellow cake mix mixed with the red watermelon makes sort of a cake in an orangey color. A white cake mix mixed with the red watermelon makes it more reddish. You could use a drop of red food coloring, but I wanted them to be natural and besides there are people who are allergic to food dies. My first granddaughter was allergic to red food dye. So that may be a consideration for you.
Pictures of Two of my Granddaughters
Cupcake or Muffin Tins
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE, CUPCAKES:
- 1 yellow or white cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup watermelon, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE, ICING:
- I lb. 10X (Confectioners Sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crisco
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup lemonade powder mix
- Enough milk, to your preferred constancy
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. Put cup cake papers in the cupcake tins.
- Chop about 2 or 3 cups of watermelon and put in blender and blend. It will not be juice at first. You will need 1/2 cup. Push the blended watermelon through a sifter into a container or measuring cup.
- Chop in small pieces 1/2 cup more of watermelon. Mix all ingredients and follow the instruction on the back of the box.
- Fill the cupcake papers and bake for about 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let them cool.
- For the Frosting:
- Put all of the ingredients in a medium bowl except the milk. When adding the milk add about 3 tablespoons first then just a teaspoon at a time till it's the consistency you want.
- You can spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes with a butterknife or through a piping bag. Let them cool in the refrigerator a little then enjoy!